Saturday, September 30, 2006

saturday afternoon tv

It has always seemed to me that the day and time when I am most likely to have spare time and the freedom to use it, the worst programming is on television. I am referring to Saturday in the afternoon. Even when I was younger I had a hard time getting up early on Saturday mornings. I would sometimes get up for a cartoon I really liked (Garfield and Friends, for example), but I did not consistently get up early on Saturdays. If I had nothing to do on a particular Saturday it was always a little disappointing if I slept through the cartoons in the morning, because the afternoon programming was wretched.

Now it takes a lot more than a Garfield cartoon to get me out of bed on a Saturday morning. I still have a similar problem with Saturday afternoon programming, though. The majority of programming that I can find is sports that I have no interest in watching (college anything, golf, tennis, racing, bowling, etc), westerns, old movies that I am not interested in, reruns of shows I may have been interested in but I have already seen, or cartoons. I would have liked to have the cartoons in the afternoon when I was younger, but I guess them's the breaks.

So, this afternoon as I was looking for something to relax me as a postponed my homework and other household chores, I flipped through the channels. Nothing I wanted to watch was on, so I did what I normally did. I watched a rerun. On Saturday afternoon there is no point in being picky.

4 comments:

T said...

Ah, yes. I ran into this problem today. I chose to put on a movie I recorded for the kids. I had seen most of it but they had not. So I watched some of it and then I went and called my dad. I never end up staying in front of the tv on Saturdays. What's the point?

roamingwriter said...

I have that weird impatient feeling with television most of the time. I don't know why. If I find a show I like, I do truly enjoy it when I sit down. But I still don't faithfully watch it. I'm not sure how I ever find a new show - I think by word of mouth - since I don't do well sitting and watching. Even worse here, of course, with the language barrier. I'm liking dvds more, because I can chose when and what.

f o r r e s t said...

This is some seriously devastating news - With some spare time on your hands, you can't find anything to watch on TV. Maybe you should take a walk or make some cookies or learn a new hobbie.

Doc said...

I never have enough time on Saturday afternoons to watch TV. There are too many other interesting or necessary things to do. Especially now that the leaves are in their autumnal splendor. I only have a few weeks to enjoy one of my favorite times of the year.