Monday, September 04, 2006

tipped off

Yesterday for lunch we visited Noodles & Company for the first time. It was actually quite good, for a more reasonable price than I would have expected. When we walked through the doors I noticed some instructions posted on how to order. The last step included a comment that the restaurant is a no tipping zone.

There few things that confuse and frustrate me more than the process of tipping. To me, it is the ultimate in passive-aggressiveness in business. I'm expected to pay for something without being given a good description of what the parameters of the expectation are. This is the key. I am more than happy to tip for good service. I just don't like that it is not made clear when a tip is appropriate and how much is a good or bad tip. How much do you tip a barber or a taxi driver or a carhop at Sonic? Should I tip a higher percent if my meal costs less? What do I do if I don't have enough smaller bills?

In my life I have both over and under compensated on my tipping multiple times. The times that I know that I have underpaid have felt much worse than the times I have overpaid. It is worth paying a few extra dollars to not feel like I have shafted someone who needed the money. I have also heard that one of the worst shifts a waiter or waitress can have is Sunday lunch because Christians tend to expect more service and to tip less. I definitely don't want to be a part of that stereotype.

I believe that if a person's largest source of income is through tips, that the business hiring them has a moral obligation to make clear what level of tipping is expected for good service. That way, the people who rely on those tips and who provide good service can have the expectation that they will get the pay that they deserve. Sure, some people will eat out less, but we are talking about moral, not financial, obligations.

I know I would like a more up front system. At least then I won't spend half my meal, or haircut, or taxi ride wondering what type of tip, if any, is expected. I'd pay for that.

6 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

1. Noodles and Co. is pretty good for a fast food eatery.

2. It seems that N&Co. was up-front about tipping - so what's your beef?

It's pretty simple, if you eat at restaurant, tip your server 15-20% and if you don't have a server then don't tip. If you have kids and you leave a big mess on the table at a place that you wouldn't tip but someone has to clean up after you (that's their job) then leave a couple of bucks. Tell your sonic carhop to keep the change to the nearest dollar or avoid sonic.

shakedust said...

I've certainly got no beef with N&Co. They're one of the only ones who do it right (informing the customer about tipping procedures). I may not have made that clear.

The rules you mentioned sound simple enough, but where did you come up with them (besides the 15-20% rule)? For example, I would bet that there is no majority opinion on how a Sonic carhop should be tipped. I tend to give between 10% and 20%.

f o r r e s t said...

Because Sonic is fast food and I would not go there because I never wanted to tip on fast food - someone told me to just leave the pocket change, so that's what I do. Now you can pay with credit. I think the car hops get paid standard wages and not server wages ($2.10) so any tipping is like the tip jar for your local barista.

f o r r e s t said...

There is no tipping in Europe and that always confused me. I guess the tip is included in the price of the meal, but it is weird to not leave something...because you don't want to be misinformed and then be an American who just stiffed a server.

Maybe our friends from Spain can shed some light on that topic.

Dash said...

I hate the extra angst i feel when I decide that the service was poor enough to under tip or no tip a server. I've been known to tell the manager, cashier .. or if the food was bad (not the service) I might even say something to the server.

T thinks we should tip the server if the experience is bad but we get a comp of some sort - this seems contradictory to me. Although I am usually very good about tipping well when I use a buy1/get1 or free meal coupon.

roamingwriter said...

yes, tipping is a confusing world. Plus we aren't good at math, so the whole 15-20% is confusing.

The odd thing here is that it is not percent based. Some menu's say service not included at which point you ought to tip. I"m no sure, maybe 10% or so. If you really like something round the bill up, ala Forrest's Sonic rule. If it is a place you are going to go a lot, you might want to leave something or some place really expensive, but generally you don't HAVE to tip. We tend to round up or leave 1Euro or nothing if we have exact change depending on the circumstances. It's a pittance compared to tips you have to leave in the US.