Thursday, September 28, 2006

easy as pi

A couple of nights ago I was assisting someone with some Statistics homework that I had already worked through. Since I had already done the homework I had an idea of everything that needed to be done.

The guy who I assisted has been very frustrated throughout the class and has pointed out that he majored in drama for his undergrad work, so he doesn't have a foundation in math. I understand some of his frustration, and that is part of the reason I was willing to stay after class and discuss the homework with him.

It occurred to me partially a few days before and partially while I was discussing the homework with him that math itself is not complicated. I don't mean that math is not complicated for people naturally gifted in math. I mean that math itself is not complicated. Math is typically relayed in an intimidating manner.

Part of what I think happened is that this guy saw a bunch of weird characters (sigmas, mus, exclamation marks) and gave up because it looked like a foreign language. It was too much to handle, so he didn't try. The actual problems were really just simple, "replace the symbols with the given numbers and solve," style problems. By the time my classmate would have noticed this he had already called it quits, though.

Another problem with how math is taught is that the purposes of specific formulas are almost never relayed. That isn't as much a problem in this class, but I don't think the drama grad was making the connections in his mind what these formulas he was using had to do with anything.

My opinion is that, if students understand the practical value of the formula and are able to understand the intimidating array of symbols that mathematicians use, they will do well in math even if they are not naturally mathematically inclined. It just seems so easy.

5 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

a good teacher and repetition helps. The best teachers are those who were C average students.

GoldenSunrise said...

I never thought to ask why or what practical value formulas would give me. Maybe that's my problem.: )

T said...

I understand what you are saying, but I do think that some people will have a harder time with math and some won't. I do also believe that understanding the hows and whys might help those struggling to perform better too. But still performing better and excelling at something are two different things.

I may understand the value of shadowing and what it adds to a picture, but that doesn't mean I can duplicate it or make it as real as a true artist. I may be able to do better with my art work in general by understanding that though, so it's definately a step.

I'm rambling. Sorry. It's late. :)

roamingwriter said...

Uh...did you say math was easy, cuz I don't get it?

Dash said...

I'm actually a lot better with the variables and formulas ... just don't ask me to multiply double digit numbers or (shudder) divide.

I have excel for that