Thursday, September 07, 2006

'til you drop

This past weekend we did some, but not an excessive amount of, shopping. Every time I go shopping at an apparel store for more than ten minutes one question occurs to me. Where's the stinking seating???

When I was younger I remember being brought along with relatives as they went dress shopping. As enthralling as the process sounds, the one thing I longed for the whole time was a simple chair. It didn't have to be a throne or a recliner. It didn't even have to be padded. I just wanted somewhere to kick back so that I would be merely bored rather than bored and weary.

I have puzzled for years over any possible reasoning as to why clothing stores would not bother to install seating. I honestly cannot think of anything beyond the fact that most people who run apparel shops don't realize that the topic is dull to a percentage of the population. Store managers must not realize that some would prefer to take a load off rather than stand around waiting for their significant others or family members to decide they are done looking through clothes.

I am sure that if an apparel store installed a simple cluster of chairs in a central location that more husbands, boyfriends, etc would be willing to go their with their wives, girlfriends, etc, thus increasing the potential sales. And all for the price of a few simple chairs. How easy is that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trick is to keep moving. Then you don't think about being tired. Start hunting for sales and you'll forget about chairs!

Dash said...

.. and if they would add a coffee bar and wi-fi access to the seating area ....

Oh - and they could let you "virtually participate" in the apparel selection process with a little web cam in your s/o's changing room. They could add voting/response buttons on the side for "that looks great" ... "no it dosen't make you look fat" ... and thumbs up/down. It would be like a video game.

Wiat a minute ... that could get really creepy.

T said...

The idea is to keep you moving thus keep you browsing, finding more options for your s/o to take home at the end of the day! :) They know exactly what they are doing! LOL

GoldenSunrise said...

Sorry you had to be on your feet so much. Nah, I'm glad you got the exercise. : )

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, lazybutt. you need the excercise according to your new pairs of jeans.

I actually had a comment earlier, but I got lost in the blogger triangle due to maintenance problems.

If you are at the mall, what do you call that seating in the public area?

You should shop and try on at the same time G is doing all that so you can coordinate.

I thought most girl stores have chairs for guys to sit in.

I agree, it is just wrong to submit a little boy to dress shopping with older women.