Monday, September 11, 2006

what a headache

Almost every weekend I get a headache. It typically starts as a minor irritation some time Saturday afternoon or evening and it strengthens through Sunday. It is usually accompanied by some minor nausea. This past weekend was no different.

I have been straining for a while to figure out what is causing this. I thought for a while that I was allergic to something around the house, because the pain is often through my sinuses. I have noticed that when I apply something warm to my head or take a shower, this temporarily relieves the pain, but until yesterday I could not find anything that actually fixed the problem.

Toward the end of the day I was getting desperate to find something to address the headache. It wasn't so bad that it was unbearable, but it was bad enough that I could not concentrate on doing homework. There had to be a solution.

As I put my head in my hands I noticed that the headache throbbed. I wondered to myself if this is what a hangover feels like. It was then that the lights went on. Water! I don't drink as much water on the weekend and I could be getting a little dehydrated. About fifteen minutes after downing three twelve-ounce cups of water the headache went completely away.

I am still not one hundred percent convinced that dehydration was the cause, but it is quite a coincidence that the headache went away after I drank the water. I feel a little stupid that it was this simple. There are worse things in the world, though. Like not knowing what is causing the headache.

6 comments:

T said...

Yeah, I use to get those and I was sick to my stomache too. Water worked every time. It's always when my body is use to getting it and I start going without that it happens. Glad the solution was simple and that your headache got better!

f o r r e s t said...

I'd sometime get headache too on the weekends, but I think mine were from a lack of sleep the seven previous days and not being able to catch up on the weekend.

GoldenSunrise said...

I think it's caffeine withdrawal from not getting as much coffee on the weekends.

I think you drink a lot of water now that the fridge water dispenser is fixed.

Achtung BB said...

I get a little caffine withdrawal too on the weekends when I don't drink 3 cups of coffee and 2 Cokes a day

Doc said...

Dehydration is a common cause of headaches. Many a "migraine" headache has been successfully cured in the urgent care with simple IV fluids.

roamingwriter said...

My dad used to get headaches on the weekends. This was in the 70s when everyone could smoke in the office. He didn't smoke but it looked to be a nicotine headache. Weird.

I was going with Golden's thought of less caffeine on the weekends, but dehydration is a valid headache cause. So are hormones...which goes along with verna.