Wednesday, September 13, 2006

300

This is my 300th post. Since 300 is a perfect score in bowling I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to give my thoughts on the sport.

I have always loved bowling. I am not really sure why, but I have a few theories. When I was five or six I even used to enjoy watching bowling on TV. Today I cannot imagine why I thought that was entertaining.

Upon some introspection, I think there are two reasons that I have always liked bowling. Since this enjoyment started before I can remember, I cannot guarantee this is completely accurate.
  1. Bowling involves clearing out clutter. For some reason I enjoy the idea of clearing out a mess of pins and sending them to the mysterious darkness beyond the lane. I cannot describe the enjoyment well, but it exists.
  2. Bowling is something relatively competitive that almost anyone can play.
Until I was about seven I used to beg to go bowling with my dad, but because I was very competitive and he was far better than me I always left the alley crying. Why couldn't I figure a way to win just one game? I still cry when people beat me.

I still remember the first time I broke 100. I was probably twelve at the time. A group of people from my church would occasionally play a few games at the small eight lane alley in town, and one of my friends would always cover whatever cost I couldn't pony up from the money he made from his paper delivery route. If I ever see him again, I should pay him back somehow.

The one and only time I broke 200 I was playing with friends over Christmas break when I was going to college. The following semester I took bowling and archery as a Phys Ed course and did not top 130 the entire semester. We were separated into groups of four students and the three girls I was teamed with all very regularly beat me. That certainly did quite a bit for my ego and my mascara.

The first time Golden and I went bowling I had a bad night and she had a good one. I think she beat me by twenty points. I have beaten her since, but you only get one chance to make a first impression. I'm still working on fixing it today.

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

It was funny that I beat you in bowling on one of our first dates. Hope it didn't hurt your ego.

T said...

Bowling huh? It was a sport my mom LOVED. She is a good bowler. I did not get that gene, but I still enjoy playing it even with my 63 and 73 point games. Yes, I lose good at bowling! :) I broke 100 one time! Oh well.

roamingwriter said...

T - me too! I hit 100 once. I'm a terrible bowler. Not really a big fan, but I associate it with a group activity and therefore fun. There was a TV show on in KC when I was a kid, Bowling for Dollars. Fred Broski, former weather guy hosted it or something. That's the only time I remember watching it on TV.

I opted out of archery and bowling in college because I am a poor bowler and not a fan of it. I took rifle marksmanship instead. I was asked if I wanted to join ROTC and said no.

f o r r e s t said...

Bowling is fun. We need to go again sometime - Rock n bowl maybe.

At video arcades, I am always drawn to the skiball and skip all the new electronic games. Maybe I am analog and prefer the dot it yourself games.

Dash said...

I think something like 210 is my highest score ever. It was one magical game (in that same bowling class - I was mutch better at badmitton). I've never come close to 200 since and am very happy if I get to 100 .... sort of like my blog posts.