Thursday, September 14, 2006

late check in

While Golden is gone, I am not bothering to open most of the mail we get. This is partly due to me not being at home very much and partly due to me being lazy. So, most of the mail sits on a pile on the love seat in the living room near the door.

On Tuesday as I was filtering through the mail that I was about to drop on the love seat I noticed a postcard that looked vaguely like a check. It was a check! I had completely forgotten about it, but I had sent a rebate form in for some hardware I got back in January. Perhaps you remember me mentioning it. Apparently, I wasn't being sarcastic about rebates requiring 4 to 6 months processing time.

Interestingly, had the company simply not sent me the check, it wouldn't have stuck out to me. But now that the company sent me the check, it reminds me of how horrible mail in rebates are. Of the three rebate forms I sent out, I got one check in the allotted time.

The other company that didn't send me a check in time instead sent me a letter saying that they didn't get the UPC. I put it in the envelope I sent, but I remember one UPC being so tiny it might have been possible for it to slide out. Regardless, I have no recourse. I sent the UPC in. I don't have it any more. As far as I am concerned it is just one more corporation doing what it can to cheat me out of a few bucks.

Back to the check that I got this week. Not only did the company send it seven months late, it also put steps in place to make sure that some checks don't get cashed. Near where the endorsement of the check is, a warning is placed (for the bank teller I assume) not to accept the check without identification and not to cash the check if it is older than ninety days. Furthermore, I don't think the check is made to look like a check. Perhaps this is in the hopes people throw the check away once they get it thinking that it is junk mail.

Anyway, there is no way that I am not depositing this check. For all the hassle that this stupid rebate has caused, I'm getting my twenty bucks.

6 comments:

T said...

Yeah,I never count on those things. What a pain. That reminds me, I wonder if Good Year has processed mine yet? I get an $80 cash card from the tires we just bought! They still have 7 weeks to get it to me in the time frame they allot! The last time it took them longer, they told me it's 8 to 10 weeks from the processing time and they processed it like 3 or 4 weeks after I sent it in. This time, I've decided to forget about it until it's here and then whala.

f o r r e s t said...

Rebates always work for me. I will buy things if there is a rebate involved and if it is something that I need. I have never found them to be a hassle. Just follow the instructions and a few weeks later a check comes in the mail.

shakedust said...

Forrest, then you are incredibly fortunate.

T said...

I concur dust! :)

roamingwriter said...

I don't enjoy the rebate process, but I do like getting money back...$20 - that's a pretty significant one. I've sent in forms for lots less.

Tell me you're not leaving that mail for Golden. I don't like it when something easily handled or shared is left to me.

shakedust said...

I actually opened the mail with Golden when she got home. She generally gets more excited than I do about opening the mail.