Monday, October 01, 2007

the bathroom comfort scale

I have been thinking lately about the fact that I don't like to follow people into public bathrooms. Sometimes I have to, but I am a little uncomfortable doing this. I have also given a lot of thought to how standard certain bathroom discomforts are. As such, I have devised a grading scale. It is specific to the men's room because that is the one I use. For the record, my comfort level is no higher than four.
  • Comfort Level 1: Unwilling to use the public restroom at all if anyone else is in it.
  • Comfort Level 2: Will use urinal when in need.
  • Comfort Level 3: Will use a stall if no one else is in the restroom.
  • Comfort Level 4: Will use a trough urinal when other people are in the restroom.
  • Comfort Level 5: Will use a stall even if there are other people in the bathroom, but will take a stall toward the back of the bathroom.
  • Comfort Level 6: Not at all uncomfortable about using a trough urinal.
  • Comfort Level 7: Will proudly march to an open stall with newspaper even when all other stalls are used.
  • Comfort Level 8: Will strike up conversations with the person in the next stall.
I am sure that I missed some steps in my scale and I know that it does not take women's bathrooms into account. Still, it works for my purposes.

3 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I guess women have it easier when it comes to comfort in public restrooms. Our problem is finding clean toilets.

f o r r e s t said...

How does this work?

Achtung BB said...

My comfort level varies on the bathroom. When all possible I avoid using the toilet, but sometimes you have to go when nature calls. I don't think I have ever been comfortable taking a newspaper in with me and sitting a while in a public restroom