Thursday, October 11, 2007

not your father's movie

More like your father's father's father's father's movie.

I was looking around YouTube last night and came across something of historical significance. Without context, the video is not very interesting at all, but there was a time when people paid money to see it run. This is because the short, starting with a bit called Workers Leaving the Lumière Factory, is considered the first work of cinema ever produced. The Lumière brothers created this film and presented it to audiences in 1895.



What gives me pause is that almost all of the people in this film were old enough to be my grandparents' grandparents. The baby who shows up midway through the flick would be close to the oldest person alive if he or she were still alive today. Looking at this, for me, is like a peek into a completely different and alien world.

I have said this all before, but not from this specific perspective. A mere hundred years can make all the difference in the world.

5 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

It's cool that the first movies is on the internet. The original is made cutting edge.

GoldenSunrise said...

interesting. we will be someone's grandparents grandparents someday. : )

Achtung BB said...

Not terribly exciting. I kind of liked the first "Itchy and Scratchy" movie better--"Steamboat Itchy"

Portland wawa said...

I am always fascinated by pictures of my ancestors where my great-grandfather was wearing a dress as a baby ( why did they do that) and everyone looked unhappy (no one ever smiled).

T said...

That was cool! Thanks for sharing! :)