Monday, October 29, 2007

key mistake

In most of the things that Golden and I do, we compliment each other well. Our routines around the house work simply work well together. There is one area where this is not the case, though.

When I transport things out of the car and/or into the house and have to pop the trunk or unlock a door, I put the keys back in my pocket immediately. Golden typically leaves the keys in place and grabs them when she closes the trunk or the door. Neither process is better or worse than the other, but we have learned that the when they do not work well when combined.

On Saturday we were sitting at a red light when three or four of the driver around us started honking at us and signaling for my attention. I rolled down my window and someone behind me shouted that we had keys hanging out of our trunk. Golden had started emptying the trunk when she got back to the house with groceries, but did not get the keys out of the trunk. I took over unloading the car, but did not think to check for the keys in the trunk when I closed it.

This sort of thing has happened with some frequency in the past but I don't think we have ever gotten on the road before discovering it. So, if you want to visit us some time you should be able to let yourself in. Don't bother checking under the fake rock or the suspicious (since we don't have a dog) dog poo. The key will be in the door.

6 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I have actually got on the road before with keys in the trunk. I noticed them when coming back to the car at Target. Someone could have driven off with the car!

Achtung BB said...

I can't say I have ever done that. I always pull the keys out. I have been known to leave the keys in the front door from time to time.

T said...

You really need keyless entry! :)

f o r r e s t said...

I usually need my keys to start the car.

GoldenSunrise said...

The problem is that we have two sets of keys. If I can't find one set, I pick up the other off of the key rack. That should be a signal to me!

roamingwriter said...

I don't do the car one but I do the house key one. More than once when I went to leave the next day and couldn't find my keys they were in the front door. Welcome burglars.