Wednesday, October 24, 2007

fat fingered

On Monday I went bowling as part of a team-building activity at work. I was reminded of a question I always have had when trying to find a suitable ball. Who is it whose fingers are so much skinnier than mine who still wants to use a 16 pound ball?
I generally look for a ball in the 14 to 16 pound range because I rely heavily on the weight of the ball pushing the pins around. I am not accurate enough to use a lighter ball. I would figure that, since I am looking for bowling balls on the heavier side of the scale, the finger holes in the bowling balls that I check would tend to be larger. As a general rule, people with smaller fingers should want to use a lighter ball.

This is apparently not the case. More often than not I pass up a ball because my fingers do not fit. I have often wondered if anyone actually uses those heavier bowling balls with the smaller finger holes. Maybe there are a lot of people with skinny fingers. Or maybe I just have fatter fingers than I thought.

3 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I think BB has the same problem when he goes bowling. Maybe those heavy balls are made for women with small fingers. Most of us have small fingers.

T said...

I think that they are made for the "average" between the sexes. I also think that they know if you REALLY want to bowl accurately you would just go buy your own ball specially made for you so that it all fit perfectly! :) It's kind of like the putt putt putters. They are usually for short people or occasionally for really tall people, rarely do I find one that actually fits. :(

GoldenSunrise said...

Is it your knuckles that get stuck? Or the tips of your fingers? So sorry.