Thursday, October 04, 2007

the great pumpkin

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."- Linus (It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown)
I hate conflict. I also love conflict. It just depends on what type of conflict it is.

I don't necessarily dislike discussing traditionally taboo topics like politics, religion, or even the Great Pumpkin. I don't mind arguing with someone or someone arguing with me, either. I can actually get quite a kick out of people disagreeing with me under specific circumstances. What I hate the most about conflicts is that there is often very little circumspection.

To be circumspect is to approach an issue cautiously and with an interest in all of the implications of the issue. So if someone wants to argue with me about my views about anything from the political to the spiritual, the first thing I want to know is if that person has truly attempted to understand an opposing viewpoint or at least thought through the strengths and weaknesses of his or her position. I even feel queasy when someone agrees with me on a serious issue without thinking through the implications of that position.

I know that I sometimes fail on this front as well, so I am a little hypocritical to judge on circumspection, but it is a good way for me to know whether discussing a contentious topic is likely to result in mutual understanding or frustrated shouting.

This is probably an example of the neurotic behavior that I am currently trying to address. Right now probably the easiest way to get me worked up is to just state a strong opinion that uses stereotypes or that belittles rather than addresses any opposing rationale. After that, I will almost definitely not be my normal, calm Bruce Banner self.

5 comments:

Portland wawa said...

This is why I rarely debate with you, dust. You are so knowledgable that I always show my ignorance, but I do learn something, which is good. We will see if my 5 year old will believe in the great pumpkin?

shakedust said...

Don't mistake overconfidence for intelligence. :)

Achtung BB said...

Circumspect--that's my new word for the day. I wish more people would approach an issue that way. It's important to be a critical thinker.

f o r r e s t said...

Well said.

What is the inspiration behind this post? Were you recently part of a discussion/debate?

shakedust said...

I really haven't been in too many debates or arguments lately.

I've been thinking about it for a while. I think what got me started on this, though, is that I have been reading a lot of user comments on news websites and I am continually amazed at how one-dimensional most of the opinions people post really are. They only sound good to the people who agree with them.