Monday, October 15, 2007

road hogs

In the past week I have had a few instances with overly aggressive motorcyclists on the road. Normally this is not a big deal, but I always wonder about people who aggressively drive their bikes on the highway.

Recently, I ran across two behaviors that I have seen quite a bit in the past. First, for a stretch of about a mile, and through a few lights, a guy in a motorcycle tailed me very closely. Eventually, he passed me, but before that he was close enough that I didn't see his tires. Second, I was driving down the highway at the speed limit when a cyclist blew past me weaving back and forth through traffic that was just about bumper to bumper. Both of these guys were wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

What I don't understand is why, if there is no safety mechanism in place in the case of an accident except for maybe a helmet, anyone would drive a motorcycle aggressively. If I am in the right mood I can be aggressive on the road as well, but I have an air bag in front of me and a steel frame around me to at least make me think I am safe. I also am easier to see and don't have to be concerned about balancing my car on two wheels. If a cyclist crashes at seventy miles an hour and is fortunate to not run into or under another vehicle he or she is still looking at a very serious case of road rash.

Normally, my opinion would be that if someone else wants to take their own life in their hands let them. One of my greatest fears on the road, though, is getting into an unavoidable accident with a motorcyclist that seriously hurts or kills him or her. Even if it is 100% the motorcyclist's fault, there is no way being in an accident where someone else is killed will not psychologically leave a mark on me as well. This is an admittedly selfish line of thinking, but it does explain why I care.

8 comments:

Achtung BB said...

You got a good point about how an accident would effect the person not at fault. It's all about living dangerously.

Portland wawa said...

And don't forget that an unavoidable accident still hurts your insurance, even though it's not your fault. Life isn't fair that way.

T said...

I concur. :) It would be great if all the cycle drivers were responsible drivers who never crash but that is not the case. They make me nervous when I'm around them.

Doc said...

On the brighter side, organ donations have to come from somewhere. Aggressive motorcyclists are usually young and relatively healthy - the perfect donors. Maybe that thought will help you not to feel so bad when that unavoidable accident occurs.

Portland wawa said...

That's an interesting way of looking at it, organ donors. Others will benefit from their stupidity and reckless driving.

f o r r e s t said...

Doc, that is hilarious!

I see these guys all the time and wonder how there aren't more accidents.

Portland wawa said...

Dust, I am not commenting, but I was hoping you could email me your name, phone number and email address so I can use you and sunrise as references on my imago dei kids ministries application. Do you have access to your childrens pastor's info as well? (D.M.) She should remember us. Do you have my email? If not, can you email BB? Thank you so much. (the email I have for you guys doesn't work)

shakedust said...

I'll see if Golden can email the information. I think she has your address.