Monday, April 30, 2007

you're wrong

It's a sickness. I don't think there is a cure. I think I'll always be this way. I have to correct people when I think they are saying something wrong.

When someone mispronounces a word or speaks in a way that is grammatically incorrect I get this strong urge to pipe up with a correction. When someone uses a word in a way it was not meant to be used, I have a strong urge to enlighten the person with a more accurate word.

When someone relays information that I believe is inaccurate to someone else, I can't leave it alone. This is especially a problem in discussions in classes at church or school. Sometimes I can bite my tongue, but only long enough to avoid saying something to the crowd. I then whisper my correction to whoever happens to be sitting next to me. Sometimes it just looks like I am picking on the people with whom I most disagree.

I do not know why I am like this. Maybe part of me wants to feel superior and I am acting out to make it happen. If this is all that is causing this behavior, though, I am doing a good job of disguising it from myself. I don't typically feel superior to my victims when I do this.

I could be doing this because I am trying to influence people to think like me or to make them understand the way I think. That would explain a lot, but I hope it is not completely true. That is a very self-centered approach.

All I really know is that I need to address this personality defect at some point. For once, I need to correct myself instead of someone else.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My predisposition to avoid speaking in groups generally means I don't correct in the group. I might not be able to hold back laughter, though.

But as far as correcting truly bad information -- I think it is a duty to do this. This could be because I value being correct very highly. Odds are if I do speak up in that group, it's going to be to correct some glaring error. If I start my first sentence with "Actually," you know a correction is on its way.

T said...

Too funny! I was just telling the kids last night that when I sit in Sunday School with their dad I need a sign to hold up after I speak that states "I stand corrected!"

GoldenSunrise said...

I am the one sitting beside Dust that gets whispered to. : )

Dust, you learned that from your mom. : )

Portland wawa said...

Maybe you have the heart of a teacher and the world is your classroom. Although not everyone likes to be treated like a student.