Thursday, April 19, 2007

say what you mean

From Alice in Wonderland:

March Hare: "…Then you should say what you mean."
Alice: "I do; at least—at least I mean what I say—that's the same thing, you know."
Mad Hatter: "Not the same thing a bit! Why, you might just as well say that, 'I see what I eat' is the same as 'I eat what I see'!"

English is sometimes a strange language. What you mean and what you say can be completely different. Let me illustrate.

  • "No offense, but...": These words are almost always followed by something that you should take offense at.
  • "Hi, how are you?": This isn't a genuine question. There is no acceptable answer other than to say things are good.
  • "Good morning": This is an oxymoron.
  • "This will only pinch a little": I have gotten a lot of Novocain shots in my life, definitely enough to know that this statement is a lie.
  • "Allow 6-8 weeks to receive rebate": This is actually something I discussed before. If you actually get the rebate check you will be very fortunate to get it in eight weeks.
  • "To serve you better...": I wish a company would just occasionally confess that sometimes moves are not made to serve the customer better. For example, I worked at a grocery store that installed a CoinStar machine "to serve customers better." Why should customers pay to turn change into cash when they can pay with change at the cash register for free? I will admit that it is useful when someone has a lot of coins, though.
  • "The doctor will be with you in a minute": Would you like to read this copy of War and Peace while you wait?
  • "I promise I'll change": For at least the next week or so.
  • "I'm just being real": This is an excuse to tell someone off while pretending to take the high road.

Do you have any examples of your own?

5 comments:

T said...

Dash says that "I'm fine" when I say it means that I'm really not okay and he needs to guess to see what's really wrong! :) I don't completely agree. I usually mean...I will be fine after I get over whatever it is that's irritating me at the moment! I've started in the past couple years saying "I WILL be fine."!:)

"How do I look?" Is another question that has only one answer. "You look MARVELOUS!"

Achtung BB said...

How about "the customer is always right" when the manager is around. Not as witty as yours, but I tried.

GoldenSunrise said...

For what it's worth: : )
It's not you it's me.

Unknown said...

I've been carrying around and accumulating coins for about 4 years. When in Nevada, I used one of those coinstar type machines for about 5 minutes to count out the roughly 3000 coins I was depositing. Granted, it was free, but I really appreciated the service.
Now, I have had rates go up "to serve me better." Goodie.

roamingwriter said...

These phrases are why I love the Despair.com stuff. It's like what we would really say if we dared. I'm a verbal coward, so I appreciate when I hear someone else say what they think. ha!