Sunday, April 01, 2007

floored

The carpets in the main hallways of our office building were changed over the few days last week. This wouldn't be a big deal if the carpets were being changed in off hours. Apparently, carpet layers keep regular business hours.

On the first day there was no warning. I just stepped out of the office to find the carpet missing. I didn't get the same shock as at least one other guy in the office who stepped out into wet glue that had been laid for the carpet that was to be laid. His footprints could be followed back through the office.

The next business day there was a period of time where we could not leave our office because nearly the entire floor was covered with glue. The parts that weren't covered were inaccessible because carpet had been stacked against one of our doors. Another guy in the office determined he had to step through the glue to get to the bathroom. I just held it for an hour until a path to the bathrooms was available.

After the carpet on our floor was completed, I thought that would complete the complications. I learned the next morning, though, that they were also replacing the carpet in the stairwells. I was running up the stairs when a guy stopped me and said that he had just glued the area at the top of the stairs. I had to take an alternate route, but at least I didn't get glue on the bottom of my shoes.

7 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Doesn't sound like a fun place to work between the geese chasing you and your feet sticking to the floor.

f o r r e s t said...

So how is the new carpet?

GoldenSunrise said...

Glad to hear that you're still getting exercise by walking up the stairs. : )

shakedust said...

I like it. I've heard some dissent.

T said...

Glue---ewwww!

Anonymous said...

My building has been doing a lot of painting in the stairwells. Paint fumes combined with the musty wet carpets from the rain last week created an overpowering sweaty gym shoe smell. Blech!

roamingwriter said...

Does carpet glue ruin shoes? Seems like it wouldn't be good.