Saturday, April 21, 2007

socks and apples

This Monday is my dad's birthday and, as usual, I still haven't figured out what I am getting for him. I think there is probably not anyone else that I will ever know that is harder to buy for than him. This has always been an issue. When we were growing up and my sister or I ever asked what he wanted us to get him he would always reply that he either wanted a pair of socks and a basket of apples. This did not make the process any easier.

With a lot of men you can buy them things to contribute to their hobbies, be it golf equipment, fishing equipment, or any other type of equipment. He doesn't really have any hobbies, though. I think it is mostly due to the fact that he does not want to spend money on a hobby, but for whatever reason that is not a strategy that I can use.

My dad does like to laugh, but there is a genuine limit on very clean humorous entertainment available that fits his personality for sale. There is more blue humor available than clean humor, and the blue humor is out of the question. My dad does like an author named Pat McManus who mainly writes short stories about mishaps fishing, hunting, and growing up in a rural area. I am not 100% sure of which McManus books he has, though, so I can't always fall back on that author.

For some men, you can buy them something that they can use at work. My dad he currently manages a school bus terminal and does fill-in preaching in churches in his area. In the past I have bought doctrinal books and a car seat warmer for him for on the job, but his career roles have not been a great boon for gift ideas.

So, now I am two days away from his birthday without a good idea. I guess I will be getting him a gift card to some store. I just have to decide which one.

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

So, I guess you or I need to go online and buy something now.

Anonymous said...

I had a hard time, too - as usual with Dad. I ended up giving him a Target gift card, cashews and a small (32 mb) memory stick.

After spending some time with him today I've got some ideas for Father's Day and Christmas that we'll have to chat about.

Achtung BB said...

I have similar problems with my parents. My problem is that they already own everything they could want (and that I could afford). I recommend a gift card to a resturant.

roamingwriter said...

Parents are hard to buy for. Dad's especially. My dad seems to be developing some hobbies so that is a relief. My mom is easy in that I know what she likes, but she usually buys what she wants.