Wednesday, May 02, 2007

living with rejection

A few months ago I decided that we need to get a rewards card to recoup at least some of the money we spend in everyday life. As a result, I investigated different cards and found one that I felt matched our needs the best. I figured we would make most of our bill payments and purchases on the card and just pay it off every month. Reasonable strategy, I think.

It appears the credit card company figured out my strategy. I recently received a letter stating that because I don't have any revolving accounts with a balance my request for credit has been rejected. This is the first time I have ever been rejected for credit. I wouldn't apply for a card that I didn't plan to use, so I have to assume the problem is that the evidence suggests that I will be paying my balance in full every month.

I actually understand this to some degree, so I am not really complaining so much. If this is a standard policy for all banks, though, I may have trouble getting a good rewards card.

2 comments:

Portland wawa said...

That is amazing. Achtungbb and I always pay off our cards right away. We didn't know that the credit card companys view that as a bad thing. We thought they'd be happy they were getting paid on time. Very interesting.

T said...

Yeah, they want you to pay late and not pay off your credit so they get the full advantage of sticking you with high credit and late fees. We've learned a lot about credit cards with dash working at citibank...well their collection policies anyway.