Monday, January 08, 2007

you sure can pick them

As with probably every couple, Golden and I each have a set of movies that one of us likes that the other doesn't along with the set of movies that we both like. I think there are more movies that we both like than that only one of us likes.

It used to be that we would watch a ton of the movies both of us like and hardly any of the movies only one of us likes. Since we have started Blockbuster Online, I have begun watching a lot of movies that Golden probably wouldn't care for in addition to the "us" movies we watch together. I have watched enough that I actually have trouble finding a movie that I specifically want to watch in the Blockbuster store that I know Golden won't want to watch.

On New Year's Eve, I went to pick a "me" movie from Blockbuster and really couldn't find much I cared to see (again, that Golden would not want to see). On a whim I picked up The Butterfly Effect 2. I knew it wouldn't be a brilliant movie, but I figured I would at least be entertained. I did slightly dread going through the line with a movie that was so likely to be a stinker, but I figured my self-consciousness about it was mostly unfounded paranoia.

After I got to the counter a conversation very similar to the following condensed version occurred.

Girl at Checkout: "You're really getting this?"
Me: "Yeah."
Girl at Checkout: "This is such a dumb movie, though."
Me: "It probably is."
Girl at Checkout: "Why don't you get a better movie, like this one." (She pointed at Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby)
Me: "My wife will want to see that movie and I am renting something for after she goes to sleep tonight."
Girl at Checkout: "Seems a waste."

Fast forward to this past weekend. I was in a similar situation for picking out a movie, but decided The Wicker Man would be worth a try. I ended up at the same girl's counter again, and the conversation went something like the following.

Girl at Checkout: "I know you. Didn't you rent something bad last week?"
Me: "You thought it was bad."
Girl at Checkout: "What was it again?"
Me: "The Butterfly Effect 2. It wasn't good, but it wasn't horrible."
Girl at Checkout: "I'm just glad I didn't have to sit through it. The Wicker Man is pretty bad too. You sure can pick them."

I sure can.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I am just curious if Golden wants to watch every "us" movie.

I know that I watch movies that Vernal would probably enjoy, but if she falls asleep and I watch it alone, it really doesn't seem to bother her and I can return it.

Meaning: movies are probably more important to me than to her.

So what I am asking is:
Does Golden share your enthusiasm in watch 5 movies a week? (slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean.)

shakedust said...

Movies are more important to me than her. I generally ask her about movies that are on the cusp as to whether she wants to watch them to determine whether they are "me" or "us" movies.

T said...

I think I'd pick a new checkout girl! :)

Movies are of greater value to dash then to me, but he rarely goes to bed after me, so he doesn't have much time to watch "his" movies.

shakedust said...

If I only could pick out a new one... :)

Unfortunately, there is one line and you go to the next available checkout.

Me being the night person really helps out with watching the "me" movies.