Wednesday, January 03, 2007

need for speed - christmas pt 2

Golden, NJ, and I were on the road a long time over our Christmas break. We put just short of 2,000 miles on the rental car, so I had plenty of time to make the following observations.
  • We got a Ford Taurus from the rental place. I drive a Taurus as well. Both cars are a lot of fun to drive. People don't usually say that about the Taurus.
  • We drove through seven states (KS, MO, IL, IN, OH, WV, and PA). Missouri drivers were the fastest insterstate highway drivers that I noticed. Indiana drivers took a very close second.
  • I don't think that state troopers in any state were really looking for speeders. I saw plenty of police cars set up to look like speed traps but I hardly saw anyone pulled over. I blew by one or two of these "speed traps" at 80 MPH.
  • Speaking of speeding, I am much faster at driving across that expanse than my parents. I can drive it about two hours quicker than my parents average. This is something that disturbs my mom.
  • We must have packed ten bags that I had to continually transport to a grandparents' house or to a hotel room. I actually made three trips to the car at our first hotel before the lady at the desk noted that they had a luggage cart.
  • NJ does not like sleeping in hotel rooms. At all.
  • Pennsylvania has what I consider the dumbest speed limits of all the states. Most of I-70 that I drove in the state has a 55 MPH speed limit. Half of the drivers observe it and half don't, so there is no real consistent flow of traffic. Rather, I did a lot of dodging between people going 55 and people going 75.
  • Golden told me that it seems like I am always posting about driving. I disagree, but I am sure that this post is reaffirming her feelings on the matter.

3 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Welcome home!

I find hotel rooms to be hard...when the kids go to bed around 9, but I want to stay up and watch TV or read. But I give in to what's best, turn off the lights and listen to a podcast and some music and fall asleep - early.

T said...

We almost always crash at hotels way late. We got to our Sikeston hotel around 10:30 which is early for us, so we stayed up and played spades with the kids! We all ended up sleeping really well that night. On the flip side, N when she was a baby didn't like hotels but now she loves them! Just give NJ a few more years and talk the parents into traveling in the near future! :) HA!

GoldenSunrise said...

A better way to put it is "NJ does not like sleeping in pack-n-plays." It was his first time to sleep in one and he did not like it! Made a hard 8 days on mom with no solid sleep.