Wednesday, January 17, 2007

two mildly disturbing things

Being that I am a geek, I enjoy watching some of the documentaries on The Discovery Channel, The History Channel, The National Geographic Channel, etc. Based on a couple of documentaries I have seen, I have learned two mildly disturbing things about myself.

Mildly disturbing thing number one:
I have always liked the way my first and last initials looked together. I think it is the straight lines and similar appearance of the "A" and the "H." I did like them enough for my initials to be among the things I most commonly scribbled into loose paper throughout my life.

About a year or two ago I was flipping through the channels when I noticed silverware imprinted with my initials on a show on the History Channel. I wondered excitedly what person from history shared my initials, so I stopped to watch. Imagine my dismay when I realized that this was a documentary on how Adolph Hitler lived in his military bunker system.

I console myself that Alfred Hitchcock also had the same initials.

Mildly disturbing thing number two:
I have always liked my birth date. The end of July is in the heat of the best of the four seasons. The year 1979 marked the death of disco and started the transition to the 80s.

Recently, I was watching a documentary on Saddam Hussein and found that he first asserted his power as Iraqi president and held political mass executions on the date of my birth, July 27, 1979.

I'm starting to wonder if I missed my calling to be a dictator who rules with an iron fist. Perhaps in this case missing my calling is a good thing.

5 comments:

roamingwriter said...

Just think don't strange things usually come in threes? You may have another dictator connection yet waiting to be discovered.

I have the same birthday as former president Carter's daughter. I guess that's not too disturbing.

Achtung BB said...

Hail Drew. Has a nice ring to it.

Anonymous said...

Midly disturbing thing number three:
Not knowing the difference between a geek and a nerd. Nerds watch documentaries. Geeks make them.

My birthay is shared by:

President Taft
Prince Harry
Dan Marino
Tommy Lee Jones
Oliver Stone
Merlin Olsen
Agatha Christie

Sooo...I could declare a presidential pardon for making and starring in a film about a retired quarteback. Then scribe a mystery about a Me the Prince.

Oh, nothing too terribly exciting has happened on my birthday, except for the passing of Johnny Ramone.

GoldenSunrise said...

Since we have the same initials, kinda creepy for me too.

Fats Domino was born on my birthday.

RDW said...

I can relate to you, AH. I actually share a birthday with (the late) Saddam Hussein. April 27. On the lighter side, that is also Jay Leno's birthday.

Interestingly enough, my wife's birthday (August 13) is the same as that of (the soon to be late?) Fidel Castro.