Monday, January 29, 2007

the money pit

Several years back when Golden and I were living in an apartment someone warned me about the costs of home ownership. He referred to his house as a money pit. This concerned me because I don't like to throw money away, but I remembered that most things in a house only need replaced every ten to twenty-five years.

Now that Golden and I have lived in our house three-and-a-half years, we have had foundation work done, replaced the garage door, replaced the front door, replaced the roof, performed numerous small fixes/upgrades around the house, and we will probably replace the furnace this summer. I have to ask those who have owned houses longer, is this abnormal? Is there a general frequency with which you expect to have major work done on your house? Our house is forty years old, so that could be part of the problem.

Anyway, I had the following conversation with an acquaintance this weekend.

Me: "We just had the roof replaced this past month and now it sounds like we're going to have to replace the furnace shortly as well."
Acquaintance: "When it rains it pours."
Me: "Last month, when it rained it leaked."

Believe it or not, that line didn't get a laugh.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Did you ever fill up your cracks?

shakedust said...

It was one big crack, but that's another story. :)

Yep, that was part of the foundation work.

T said...

Your last comment got a laugh from me! :)

GoldenSunrise said...

I think this is normal for a house reaching 40 years old. We bought it when it needed all the repairs done shortly.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't resist posting the roof joke, eh?

Right now I'm glad I still live in an apartment, leaving all of that repair stuff to someone else.

f o r r e s t said...

Entropy is in effect.