Saturday, January 20, 2007

the perfect murder

I watched Dial M for Murder just a little bit ago, which is a Hitchcock film about a man who plans his wife's murder. He then frames his wife when she succeeds in killing the person who was hired to assassinate her. In the movie one of the characters mentions that it is possible to plan the perfect murder on paper, but implementing the plan would be nearly impossible. Something always happens that wasn't in the plan. This got me thinking. Could I plan the perfect murder?

Don't get me wrong. I don't fantasize about knocking someone off, but I kind of understand the mentality of someone who commits a crime to prove he could pull it off without a hitch. I know that, even if I had the heart of a cold-blooded killer, I could not commit a serious crime without getting caught because I would inevitably make a mistake along the way. What I would like to know, though, is whether I could develop a plan that would work on paper.

Am I the only person who thinks about this? Does anyone else ever have the guilty pleasure of thinking through the necessary steps to evade capture or to make the evidence point elsewhere? Will these statements ever be used against me in a court of law?

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Dust, in the library, with the candlestick. : )

T said...

I was thinking something like that golden! :)

But to answer your question, I don't think about murder, but I have had fun of thinking of other law breaking stuff and how to achieve them! As a kid I was the sneaky one too!

Dash said...

I (like Wally before me) take great delight in planning how I can decrease my professional contribution until it matches my salary.

roamingwriter said...

I often see the flaw in the plans and enjoy reading murder stories and thinking of stories of murder. I too feel I would always be caught, but enjoy thinking of the loop holes. I liked Dial M. I also like seeing problems with plots in movies or books, no they'd get caught because...