Saturday, January 27, 2007

i'll drink to that

I get free pop (soda, to some of the contentious) at work. I don't go overboard, but I do drink at least one a day for lunch. My manager has been limiting his pop intake for a while, so I will occasionally open a can of Coke or Pepsi in his earshot for kicks. I am starting to give his philosophy some thought, though.

I completed watching Super Size Me a few minutes ago and am left feeling a little sick in the stomach. I know that part of the point of the documentary is to portray the fast food industry as a heartless corporate machine with no concern for consumers' health. My sickness is not due to the heartless corporate machine, however. My sickness is due to seeing what eating a bunch of junk food can do to a healthy body.

This is something that my mom did right. She kept me on a healthy diet nearly to a fault and limited my intake of a lot of unhealthy stuff. When I moved out, though, I did start to indulge some food and beverage vices a little too much. I have a natural aversion to a lot of what I should be eating as well.

I do take solace in the fact that I don't crave all of the unhealthy food at McDonald's (which figured strongly in the movie). I actually have had a hard time stomaching the fries for a while. I like enough of the bad stuff that the effect of junk food is a concern, though.

I don't generally like making resolutions, because they are almost always guaranteed to be broken at some point, and so they just discourage my future growth (or in this case reduction). I think I have come up with a resolution that will work for me, though. I am going to reduce my work pop intake to three cans a week from about six. This doesn't seem like much, but it could add up, and I'd like to see if such a small change can make a noticeable difference.

Since I am announcing my resolution on my blog I expect that a few people will keep me honest if only for their own entertainment. I have other things that I could be drinking at lunch anyway. I'm sure V8 won't get old too quickly.

4 comments:

T said...

V8? I would drink a gallon of water before drinking V8! I have tried and been somewhat successful on limiting my sodas. I've been drinking more water. I actually like water now--it only took me 30 years to get to that point! :)

GoldenSunrise said...

Have I failed where your mom succeeded? I have been feeding you junk, sorry. I'll try to do better too.

shakedust said...

What I get at home is great. :)

Any problems are all my fault, which is why I am taking a minor step to correct them.

Dash said...

Most of my soda-fasting ends up with me awake for nearly 24 hours following a stupid 3-can of diet coke after 4 glasses of Rapsberry tea at Homers.

I mention that to applaud your choice for a moderate reduction. The big swearing-off route hasn't done me much good.