Wednesday, May 31, 2006

goodbye kitty

After much soul searching Golden determined that she could not keep her cat with the baby coming. This is because Autum has a habit of biting and because Autum can be jealous for Golden's time and attention. Golden called up the Pet Connection, where she had originally got the cat, and asked if they would take her back. Apparently our contract from when we originally got Autum specified that we were supposed to bring her back to the Pet Connection instead of selling or giving her away.

When we arrived a lady handed us some paperwork regarding Autum's history, personality, etc. She wasn't really the soft personality that you would expect to work at an animal shelter and she did a good job of making us feel guilty for dumping the cat on them. After filling out the paperwork and waiting a while a different, more personable lady came out and looked through the paperwork. She gave an understanding nod when Golden explained that she didn't want to have a cat that bites in the house with her new baby.

The experience was draining for Golden, though, and a couple of tears were shed when after we left the place. As much as I didn't really get along with that psycho cat, even I will miss her. I know Golden will miss her all the more.

Who knows, maybe someday a few years from now we'll be back at the Pet Connection to pick up a new and more permanent pet. It will just be us humans for now, though.

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I felt like a complete heel when I was there. At least that one lady said thanks for honoring the contract and congratulations with your new baby.

I know that there are going to be people that disagree with my decision. The other day when I caught Autum sleeping in the baby crib, I believe God confirmed to me then that I needed to give her up. I can't take any chances that the cat would hurt my son.

Dash said...

I hope Autum finds a nice new home and enjoys her new adventures. I also hope they have mice (or whatever else she really enjoys).

I'm also glad that she won't be one of those left-beside-the-highway pets. Kudos.

T said...

I can't imagine the loss you are feeling and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I am so glad that you were able to take her back, knowing that she'll be cared for appropriately.

I do hope that in a few years you are able to bring in another pet for the whole family to enjoy. That would be great for you guys. It was fun to watch Autmun run in circles! She always amazed me at how fast she could be!

f o r r e s t said...

Is that why you were giddy Sunday morning?

shakedust said...

So this wasn't the uncommentable post after all. :)

I claim no responsibility for my general mood or actions any morning, let alone Sunday morning.