Saturday, May 13, 2006

myths busted

For some reason I like stories and articles that focus on disproving commonly held beliefs. I don't know if it is arrogance in that I get to think that I know something that most people don't or just a great love for the truth. It is probably a little bit of both, but I would like to think it is because I love the truth.

I already mentioned that I like reading Snopes regularly to keep up on what urban legends and email lore has some truth to it. I also enjoy watching MythBusters on occasion to get an understanding of the types of stories that people are propagating. Once in a while those two surprise me and illustrate that something I didn't think was possible actually is as well.

As an extension of that, I have been keeping up with a series that John Stossel has been doing on ABCNews.com to promote his new book Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity. The "myth" that is on the site today is that giving aid money to people in need in most African nations will do any good. Stossel believes that almost all the money ends up lining corrupt leaders' pockets. That's a little more political than I am completely comfortable with, but it is an angle that I haven't heard too many people advocate since it discourages charity giving.

This excerpt from the book focuses on the inability of media to discern scientific truth, ans so falls right in line with my enjoyment for MythBusters. I'll probably put this book on my birthday list. It should help me enjoy my arrogance.

4 comments:

Jadee said...

Ironically, yesterday I received a "warning" email about a new virus subject line. I normally do not pass these on...because I usually check with an internet security friend of mine...and they aren't real. However, I also received the "suspicious" email from someone that I had not chatted with for several months...so I immediately deleted it AND forwarded the warning email to my address list.

Of course, I had a few reply with the links to check and see if its an urban legend...and that it WAS listed...but when I got home, I had an IM from my contact stating that he did not send out that "invitation" email and to NOT open it. I figure better safe than sorry!

Could it be that now the crazies behind sending viruses, are also listing it on the "urban legend" site, so that we are unsuspecting and dismiss the warning??

(kinda like fire alarms...LOL)

shakedust said...

What a conspiracy that would be. :)

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.....well, if Hurricane Katrina was an example of government effectiveness at relief, it does not seem mythical at all to me...

along with :

UN security council's ability to stop and prevent war

Fed $ spent on Y2K....didn't happen did it?

Jadee said...

It's ALL conspiracy, I tell ya!

Two weeks before 9-11, my ex-husband's army guard unit was activated and sent over to Kosovo to replace the unit that was sent directly to forefront of the war...so hmmmmm...