Wednesday, May 17, 2006

office space

A couple of months ago the finance company that rented about half the floor where I work moved out. A from a few weeks later until now construction has been going on in that area pretty much nonstop to turn it into a large conference room. Here are a few of the observations that I have made about the construction.
  • Interior construction can be very loud. If I was a construction worker on a construction site that would be one thing, but when I am trying to talk with a customer on the phone and it sounds like someone is going to come through the wall with a sawzall, something seems wrong.
  • One of the sales guys whose office is along a wall we share with the construction site was startled to find someone's arm reaching through the ceiling area into his office.
  • I love the smell of new carpet. I an indifferent about the smell of paint. The smell of drywall makes me sneeze.
  • I have opened the door into our shared hallway and run into scaffolding, a ladder, and one of the guys doing the construction on three separate occasions. I now walk a longer way around to get to the bathroom so I don't have more incidents.
  • While I prefer not to work construction, the guys doing the work in that office generally have better hours than I do. They usually haven't arrived on the site when I get in the office in the morning and they have usually already left by the time I head out.
  • The office space is supposedly going to be used by a large domestic automaker that has announced that it is shrinking its expenses. I guess the company still needs conference rooms, though.

4 comments:

Jadee said...

I remember when I was fresh out of college and working as the Marketing Director at GCCU, when we started our building program. This was a great experience for me because I was doing all the promotions, press releases, and open houses...

However, I worked at a desk in the KITCHEN...lol! Of course, that is where we were putting in the elevator!!!!

I literally had to get ear plugs and a dust mask from the drilling into the concrete foundation for them build the elevator pad.

ADVICE: Don't take too much Advil!!! That is when I had my first kidney stone, when I had to take advil 3x day for the headaches!

shakedust said...

They make Dust masks?! How lifelike are they?

Seriously, though, that would be pretty frustrating.

f o r r e s t said...

You mean to tell me that the guys next door arent being quiet. Shame on them for not using the new quiet tools - like the padded hammer.

They do have great hours if you can wake up early. Generally, they start anywhere from 6-7am and finish at 3pm.

shakedust said...

Yeah, why doesn't everyone else adjust to placate me? Doesn't make sense. :)

I think the guys must meet somewhere else and travel here together, because I remember doing that when I was on a crew. I remember starting anywhere from 6 to 8 very well and so this is the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't get started until 8:30.