Monday, May 15, 2006

see through my eyes

I have wanted to do a post on my color blindness for a while, but I have long felt that I couldn't add more to what I have already told people about my condition. I have already told people that I can't tell some shades of red and brown apart, and that purple, blue, and pink can run together, and that some tints of yellow, orange, and green look the same to me. What more can I say?

What frustrates me, though, is that I can explain this all day long, but unless you see it for yourself you can't really understand what I am talking about. I can say that some specific object could be brown or red, but I don't think what I say really sinks in. I see it every day and even I don't fully understand it because I have never seen things the way that I am told is normal.

At the start of this past weekend I decided that I would investigate my color blindness a little more and try to get greater detail on the type I have. I also wanted to look for a good illustration of what I see. I think I found it.

My first significant revelation was that I have protanopic color blindness. I figured this out based on this chart. The protanope image looks almost the same as the original image to me. The deuteranope image is similar but more different than the protanope, and the tritanope simply looks like a bland image that hardly resembles the original at all. This means my weakness is in distinguishing the reds (and to a lesser amount, greens) in a color.

My second revelation was that there are simulators online to illustrate what I see. One good example is found on this page. So that you can get a real world example of what I see, though, I processed the following image through this filter to show you what I see. The original image is on the left and what I see is on the right. With this you should understand my color blindness in some ways better than I do, since I don't really know what the original is supposed to look like.

So, here is the question that I have waited my entire life to ask someone else. What color does the bird look like to you? How about the leaves? The ground? What about the...

13 comments:

T said...

I am glad to see what you mean now by the color blindness. Cool Pics.

Dash said...

I spent a few minutes this afternoon using the filter on some of my favorite unsucessories - creepy.

I, of course, mean that in a respectful way with appropriate defference to all individuals reguarless of their optical determinance.

... I went to diversity training today (guess it's rubbing of)

f o r r e s t said...

That's not too bad. Life could be worse.

shakedust said...

Of course life could be worse. I could say that I have six months to live and it would be valid to respond that life could be worse. :)

Actually, this isn't supposed to be read as a complaint, but more as an informative post.

I don't really care about whether I am color blind or not, except for two things. First, it can get frustrating trying to explain what being color blind is. Second, it seems that every stinking thing in creation is referenced by color. As an example, think about what these sentences have in common.

- Pass me the yellow binder.
- Take the red line to get to the suburbs.
- I'm so blue.

Jadee said...

I am really interested in what you posted....I have never studied on that even though my cousin was solving my rubix cube for me...and accused me of taking off the stickers...because he was color blind...that's actually how they found out...was right then!

When/how did you find out that you had color blindness?

shakedust said...

My mom was frustrated with me because I understood shapes, numbers, etc well when I was growing up, but I could not identify a lot of colors. My parents told me they thought I was color blind at age five. I had that confirmed at a health fair one or two years later.

shakedust said...

Daniel, I have a working theory that people who are color blind tend to be more right-brained because they are constantly trying to deduce what specific things people are talking about when they reference things by color.

I notice from your profile that you work with Java/Eclipse. This would imply that you lean more toward being a right-brained thinker. Is this true?

f o r r e s t said...

uh-oh! you took my comment as an attack. I didn't have anything clever to say. I was suprised with how much color you can actually see. I guess from earlier discussions, I thought you were a lot more clueless about colors.

Not to brag, but I am bit colorblind myself. I don't believe it, becuase I believe that I see all the colors. But I failed the test my eye doctor gave me. He said a form of color blindness is common for most men.

shakedust said...

Why do you think I took it as an attack? I wasn't being defensive, I was clarifying my position. I think I need to start adding more smileys. :) :) :)

About that test. If the condition is so common, perhaps people with that condition are more normal than those without it. :)

Jadee said...

Now now...is that becoming an attack on the rest of us???? ROFL!

I am more right-brained and thus my creative abilities in advertising/graphic design...not sure if I have had the color test...hmmm. I am actually amidextrous...and my mother made me be a right-hander. (no wonder I get so mixed up some days...lol!)

That should be your next blog-research-post! Rightys vs. Leftys =)

shakedust said...

Rightys vs Leftys from a coordination perspective or from a brain usage perspective? I imagine either would be good.

Jadee said...

Does that mean you are leaving it up to me to do the research and post that one? LOL! I probably will though...just to learn more about it.

Stephanie said...

Jackie, my son's fish would not be very pretty in your world. I always thought color blind meant everything was like black and white tv.