Thursday, May 25, 2006

that's my boy

Since we found out about our new arrival the impending birth has seemed like an eternity away. This didn't bother me. I need time to adjust. I was coasting for a while (and commented recently to Golden that it feels like she has always been pregnant). Then we visited the doctor this week and were informed that she may want to induce the baby early since he is growing rapidly and Golden is petite. This was a wake up call to me. Within a few weeks, not months, we will have a new little one.

This does not really scare me too much right now because I have had some preparation time. I am a little concerned because I have never been great with kids, but I always assumed that my interactions with my own kids would be different.

There are a few things that I am getting excited about. What probably tops the list is that I want to get to know my son's personality. My understanding is that it may take a while to get to that point. I am also looking forward to sports and games in the more distant future. I am not looking forward to diapers and discipline. Priority one, though, is just getting through the delivery.

14 comments:

T said...

Wow. How early are they talking about enducing? You'll do fine. :) I'm gGlad we have some time to get use to the idea of parenting, too, although I was VERY ready to have N towards the end! 40 weeks is a LONG time! :)

shakedust said...

Golden's original due date was July 15. The doctor made the comment that she might like to see the baby born the first week of July. She had a pretty serious tone when she said it, too.

f o r r e s t said...

YOu are funny! :)
YOu crack me up.

I think your understanding is right, it'll take at least a couple of day before you'll figure out his personality.

Don't worry. I don't care too much for kids either (still) - but I like mine.

windarkwingod said...

You'll do a great job. My dad did!

T said...

If your doctor said it, then it will most likely happen that way. They don't mess around when the babies are getting bigger. Especially when they are trying for natural child birth. Cman was 9lbs 2oz. They still took him before his due date even though it was a scheduled c-section. They said they would have enduced earlier if I were going to try natural child birth again.

roamingwriter said...

Soon and very soon...you're going to see the kid, soon and very soon, you're going to see the kid.

Sorry that was awful.

shakedust said...

I laughed. :)

GoldenSunrise said...

Our son is in the 55th percentile on weight/height measurements according to the sonogram. He weighs 4 lbs. already. That was very surprising to me because I have usually been in the 10th percentile. Dust has been on the smaller end also.

Our son also has a head full of hair according to the sonogram. Just like his Daddy did!

T said...

How fun! Now day's nothing's left to the imagination huh? I was told if you have heart burn a lot when you are pregnant then your baby has lots of hair. Golden, are you finding that to be true?

shakedust said...

Golden has had a lot of heartburn.

f o r r e s t said...

I think she meant you Dust. Are you having a lot of heartburn?

shakedust said...

Actually, I have had quite a bit of heartburn lately. Sympathy pains, I am sure. :)

Dash said...

I'm officially voting for July 1st ... just think, every birthday the canadians will shoot off fireworks to celebrate. :-)

Jadee said...

I totally agree with the "lots of hair & heartburn" wives-tale! It was very true for me!

No wonder I have acid reflux disease and a hernia...it really IS from my kids...ROFL!!