Monday, May 01, 2006

sports fan

This is about sports, and yet it has more to do with my personality.

When I was younger I was a huge fan of the Detroit Tigers and Lions because I lived in Michigan when I first became interested in sports. I didn't care for basketball or hockey, so I never grew too attached to the Pistons or the Red Wings. It's really a shame because then I might know what it is like to root for a winning team.

Throughout the past fifteen years both the Lions and Tigers have regularly put together teams that contended for the worst rather than the best records in the league. At first I would get frustrated, but eventually I learned that keeping up with my teams wasn't the most important thing in life. I even got a sort of pleasure out of pulling for such lousy teams at some point because it proved I wasn't a front runner.

I could pick another team to root for, and I did kind of do that when Arizona went to the World Series a couple of years ago, but picking another team because mine isn't doing so well feels disloyal and cheap.

I have learned throughout this time that, while the teams I like can go through short stretches where they win games, they will inevitably fall apart in spectacular fashion well before the playoffs. This means that I am never too tied to the TV during the baseball or football postseason.

Now I am getting guardedly optimistic about the Tigers after they annihilated the Twins this weekend. Maybe this means I can become a sports fan once again, or it could mean that I will have my heart ripped out one more time. At least I'm not a Royals fan.

4 comments:

Jadee said...

I am just a local hometown team fan. But I support our teams from the beginning of the season...win or lose. I hate the fair-weather fans that jumped on board with the RAMS when we went to the Superbowl...

Maybe that is why I like St. Louis so much. We have baseball, football, and hockey. I am waiting for a pro-basketball team...that was my favorite spectator sport in college!

f o r r e s t said...

I don't know why you are not a Royals fan. I would be an easy transition to go from one losing team to another.

shakedust said...

Jadee,

Back when I first got interested in sports I followed the Cardinals because my dad as much of a fan as he could be (he didn't really follow baseball). I kind of gave up on the team because following more than one team got to be too much.

Forrest,

Why switch from a team with a checkered past to a team with extremely limited hopes for the future? No motivation there.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust,
Why switch, maybe because you live in Kansas City and you have a boy on the way and since your used to losing, it shouldn't be a hard transition. That is why.

-f