Thursday, May 04, 2006

still here

Friday will mark my three year anniversary at work. This is significant for more than one reason. First, I have never worked with any company full time for this long. I have typically faced layoffs before getting this far. Second, there is a lot of turnover in the department where I work. There are multiple reasons for this that are well beyond the scope of this post, but suffice to say my being at the same place for three years is a pretty big deal.

I generally don't care to mark the anniversary of starting to work somewhere for any reason other as a factual note that I have been around for x number of months or years. For my three year anniversary there are two extra reasons I am noting it: I got a three year gift and I get an extra week of vacation.

For my gift I picked out a pocket watch that is meant to hang on a belt loop. I am not really a watch person, but I have been carrying it around anyway. It also has a small blade, bottle opener, and compass that doesn't work. I picked this specific gift because it was among the more expensive gifts on the list and Golden pointed out that it would make a good father to son gift someday.

More valuable than the three year gift, though, is an extra week of vacation that I will be getting. I have a general philosophy about vacation time that I should always keep a specific cushion in case of emergency or in case I get laid off. In part because of this philosophy and in part because I am a tightwad I have not taken much vacation time in the three years I have been at work. I got two weeks a year of vacation for the past three years and I now have just over two weeks stored up. I only took a week every year at Christmas time and I have taken a few random days for graduation events and homework.

Now that I will be getting an extra week and I have a two week cushion I am going to be a little more willing to use my vacation time. Much of it is probably going to be taken when family comes out to see the baby, but I am not too concerned because I am getting my vacation days quicker now. I am psyched because I haven't felt that I had the freedom to take off a day for myself and I may now be able to do that.

As I initially stated, this third year is uncharted territory for me. It's the year for me to boldly go where Dust has never gone before. We'll work on there being a fourth year.

9 comments:

windarkwingod said...

Congrats on year three. It's a good feeling to last so long in this new 21st century work environment... Fluidity is your friend and so are fluids probably as well.

Dash said...

I've come to realize that the reason my boss wants the entire year of vacation scheduled in advance (on a spreadsheet - or course) is that unless we notify the dept admin that we took a vacation day .... our official bank of planned time stays the same.

I'm seriously wondering if I could get away with holding on to one and use it as carryover for next year - simply by not confirming that I took it.

Oh yeah, that would be stealing - darn that Ranger code.

:-)

shakedust said...

Ready. Ready for anything. Ready to work, play, live, obey, roll over vacation time, etc.

f o r r e s t said...

good job. way to hang on.

Using vacation days is something you should try. They are fun, not scary. When you are lying on your deathbed and you look back over your life you are not going to say "man, I wish I would have worked more." No, you'll wish that you would have used your vacation time.

Sorry, this adaptation was stolen from the hundreds of pastors that like to use this analogy.

shakedust said...

Yeah, I understand the deathbed story and I don't completely disagree with it. I do hate the analogy being so simple, though. It only has practical value in the sense that work and/or money should not be the main point of life. I don't think I am at that point right now.

When I am not given much to spend I have more of a tendency to hoard for a while so that there is enough free in case I need it to visit family for some reason or for some other event that I cannot predict.

On the flip side, I do think that not taking any more time off has affected my psychological and (to some extent) physical health the past couple of years. When I feel comfortable with what I have saved up, I plan on taking some time off just to recouperate. That will probably be in January between semesters when I can get the best use out of it.

T said...

Something that worked really well for dash and I was for him to go to work while family was in town visiting when the kids were first born. Then they left and he took some time off and I got extra recoup time and help out of it! No one was really there to see him anyway! :) :) :)

f o r r e s t said...

I love making fun of and rearranging that deathbed anology whenever I get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...deathbed? How about this, no one on the day they quit their job will think "Gee, I wished I had been a better company man."

Stephanie said...

Vacation time rocks. I plan my husbands for him, a year in advance. I'm a little bit psycho!