Wednesday, May 10, 2006

outside the lines

Compared to most people I don't mind taking tests. Depending on who wrote the test, I am actually a decent test taker. I especially like multiple choice and true/false because it is often more an issue of thinking like the author of the test more than memorizing the facts the test is supposed to measure. One thing I don't like about multiple choice tests, though, is that they are often implemented with scantrons.

I am something of a perfectionist in certain aspects of my life. I think it has to do with my OCD, but I am not sure about that. One of the ways this perfectionism shows itself is in the fact that I have a hard time not taking the time to make sure that the circles or rectangles that I am supposed to fill in are perfect. I can't have a small smudge that goes outside the lines or a white space within the area that should be darkened. It just drives me nuts.

When I give in to my perfectionist tendencies, though, I fill out the scantron way too slowly and tend to be among the last to hand my sheet in. In elementary school I occasionally did not complete sections of the standardized tests because I took too long to fill in the circles. Lately I have been trying hard not to be a perfectionist so I can be more efficient with the scantron forms. It's hard, because I like to live life within the lines. It is fun to hand in my test first, though.

5 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I also liked my ovals to be filled in perfectly, but I don't recall that it took me any longer to make perfect circles.

Maybe I have good control of my pencil.

All my Architectural exams were done on the computer. That was a first for me. And hopefully a last.

T said...

I never gave it much thought. It was just fill in and turn in! I did however usually want to make sure I pressed hard enough so it would show up! That was important you know!

GoldenSunrise said...

The scantron squares aren't complete squares because the letters A, B, C, are inside them. That makes them harder. Fill in the circle tests are easier to stay in the lines.

Anonymous said...

I was always bothered by the having to erase my answer if I second guessed myself. I was worried if I had cleared enough of the pencil lead to not give a false read...."is it erased enough...oh no, it still has grey on it"...yep, I too can be a little OCD.

Jadee said...

My fear was the same as Taz...did I erase it enough to not show up and be counted wrong!

But my approach was more that as long as the ENTIRE space was blackened...I would be fine. But I didn't worry too much if it went over the line slightly. My mind was reasoning it out that at least the machine should be able to KNOW which one I marked! =o)