Monday, May 22, 2006

public prayer

Ever since I started ushering a trend has developed. The responsibilities are not that big of a deal, but without fail I am asked to pray over the offering every week.

Something that must be understood about me, and one of my best kept secrets, is that I don't pray well in public. I can usually stumble through a prayer, but it is often not pretty. Maybe it isn't even a secret.

My philosophy is generally that I don't need to mince words with God because He knows what I have to say, so why spend much time saying it. I always feel that when I have finished the prayer I must have missed some huge point that any normal person would have remembered if they prayed.

In spite of my paranoia, it's not like it matters. No one listens to the offertory prayer anyway.

10 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I have noticed and have been laughing in the pew every single time they ask you to pray. YOu need to screw it up real bad so you won't be asked again.

T said...

Welcome to the club. I thought I was going to have to go around the whole table looking for someone to pray this week! Thankfully the 2nd person I asked said that they would do it, with some reluctance.

Dash doesn't like to pray either and he had the same guy pray 3 weeks in a row! Poor MM. He did it without complaining. But when I asked him this week if he'd like to pray a fourth week, or would he like me to ask someone else...he said "I don't mind...if you ask someone else!" So I did!

shakedust said...

Yeah, I used to pick on MM a lot when I taught as well. I hate finding the person to pray, because few people really enjoy doing it.

I used to hate it in children's church when they would put the guilt trip on me with the question, "Don't you want to talk to God?"

I am perfectly happy talking to God when it is just the two of us. :)

shakedust said...

Forrest, if I tried to screw things up my performance would probably improve. :)

f o r r e s t said...

Not when you mention the name of Allah.

shakedust said...

Unless I want to join the local Mosque or Unitarian church, I doubt that would be a good idea.

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm....or simply,

"God, now I ask that you would increase this offering by $100 more than the best offering this place has ever taken in. Amen."

That should fix it.

Stephanie said...

I'm too busy writing the check to listen to the prayer. That's the only reason for it anyway!

Achtung BB said...

I don't even like to say the prayer at the dinner table

Jadee said...

LOL! Seminole is right...that's what I thought when I was a kid...was to pray long enough so everyone could write their check!!!

My dad was a deacon/usher/parking director...so he was always the one praying. And he always knew when we had our eyes open too..because he would say something about it later. I always wanted to ask (but didn't dare) how could he know our eyes were open UNLESS his eyes were open too!!