Wednesday, November 02, 2005

pet rock

I don't generally care to dress up for things. This includes wearing costumes. For this reason I had decided that I would not do a costume for Halloween this year. There wasn't much point, anyway, because I didn't have significant Halloween plans. Then I found out a contest at work would include decent prizes. Since I either go all out or don't do anything at all I went from doing nothing to going all out.

A couple of years ago I had considered being a pet rock for Halloween, mostly because it is something that few other people would think about. That year I dressed as a "Jump to Conclusions" mat instead. This year I decided to try the pet rock idea.

All Sunday I put together the different elements of the costume. I got two trash bags and painted them white and gray and added some green moss. I stuffed the trash bags with newspaper to give a bulgy rock look. I also created a collar out of elastic and added a "Rock" name tag, and created a pet rock carrying case.

Unfortunately, my costume did not place in the contest, so the work was mostly for naught. I also learned that newspaper is an excellent insulator, because I was pretty warm by the end of the session. I have to focus on the positive, though. I did learn that if you set your mind to something and give it your best you can end up with two painted trash bags and an elastic leash within a day's time.


4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Sounds like a great idea, but who is that in you picture wearing a dress with a black choker and carrying a rather large sized blue handbag?

You actually have all the makings for a great hobo house - cardboard, trash bags, and newspapers.

GoldenSunrise said...

It did creep me out that it looked like he had a choker necklace on. It is almost to the point of drag.

f o r r e s t said...

I'm sure he looked like someone's pet. :)

Dash said...

Pet!?!? ewwwwwww ew ew ew ew ew!