Tuesday, November 22, 2005

i need a big cup

Every morning I get two drinks--water and coffee. I sometimes substitute tea for coffee, but the purpose is almost always the same. Wake me up and replace morning breath with coffee or tea breath. I slowly wake up as I drink my coffee in the morning, and so I am much more clear-headed at 11AM than I am at 8AM. Lately, there has been a problem at work that has stifled my plans.

When I get my coffee in the morning I use a large cup. I get a smaller cup of water, because its purpose is more to offset the coffee than to quench thirst. For about two weeks, though, there were only small cups in the kitchen and in the area where the spare styrofoam cups are stored. I had to either make due on less caffeine or make two trips to the kitchen. That's a hard decision because I am so incredibly lazy.

Near the end of last week I spotted something that my mind accompanied with a heavenly chorus and a light from above. The large styrofoam cups were back! I think I am going to need to take preparatory action this time around, and stash some big cups before the next drought. I don't know if I can last through another one.

8 comments:

Jadee said...

Its only a drought right now because its the end of the fiscal year and budgets are running out....

By January 15, you will have a fresh supply again! =D

dwhitey said...

I feel like coffee in a styrofoam cup, just doesn't do it justice. Have you ever been to Z's Esspresso in Lawrence? Now that is a good cup of coffee. He roasts his own. "Mindfully Roasted" is his catch phrase. He is a self amitted coffee geek. I love it perhaps too much myself. I hear singing sometimes as well. Did you know some coffee in Europe is actually instant! Crazy, but it has an amazing unique flavor. Every morning we had coffee and ham and cheese sandwich (and an occasional belgium waffle-which is not like what they call that here).

f o r r e s t said...

You are lazy. I look forward to away from my desk and making a trip to the kitchen.

Also, have you thought about bringing in your own cup, so you can reuse it and it is always the right size. Our office has mugs.

shakedust said...

Usually I don't respond to comments much, but...

- I hadn't thought of this from a bean counter's perspective. Jadee may be on to something.

- I agree that coffee in a styrofoam cup is not typically ideal. The styrofoam helps kill the nasty office coffee taste, though. :)

- I used to bring in my own cup, but then I would have to wash it like every three months or so. Talk about a hassel. That would be funnier if I had beat Carolyn to the punch.

- The three cups is not a bad idea, but I am not so good at carrying more than two cups of liquid long distances (my cube isn't very close to the kitchen).

meredithia said...

hmmm. I didn't know you did IT stuff. that's what my dad did for awhile, or he almost did that type of stuff. my dad reminds me of dilbert though....

and I like the aol cd being used as a coaster. my family always jokes and says that's the only use for those worthless cds, but here you are with a picture illustrating our point. wonderful.

f o r r e s t said...

it would be funny if the next time your at a ballgame you pick up one of those cardboard drink and food trays. Take that to work and then fill up 4 styrofoam coffees and put them in the four corners of your tray and then grab a bagel and put it in the center and then walk back to your desk.

shakedust said...

Rain, that was my sentiment too. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Forrest, that isn't a bad idea.

dwhitey said...

I just take a breakfast-in-bed tray to work with me...so I can carry my breakfast, coffee, juice and water (all not in styrofoam) to keep me downstairs till lunch. I tend to try to not go back to the kitchen, as I have to go up (same issues shakedust has). But the nice thing about working at home (besides not having to dress), is that if I fall at the top of the stairs, I still will make it to work.