Saturday, November 12, 2005

humor me

I was reading through some back page type news articles the other day and came across one entitled, "Women May Enjoy Humor More, if It's Funny." This got me thinking about the difference between mine and Golden's sense of humor.

In order to understand our senses of humor, you would have to look back to how our humor was influenced in our more formative years.

Golden grew up watching TV and movies with her brother and his friends, and so the humor that the article described as male is not far from what she enjoys. She tends to laugh at physical humor and bathroom humor.

I had some male influences on my humor (my dad and a few friends), but some of the strongest influences come from my mom, my sister, and one of my aunts. I tend to laugh at wordplays, banter, and satire.

Unlike what the story said should be the case Golden tends to laugh at things prior to analyzing whether they should be funny. I do the opposite and analyze the joke to death in my mind. Sometimes I have to think about something for a while before determining whether I truly believe it is funny. Once I do, I tend to overenjoy the joke by recalling it to mind at random times of the day.

Golden likes the fact that I work mostly with men because it helps me appreciate her humor more. On the flip side, though, my humor is like a commercial jingle that you don't like at first, but later on you can't get out of your head (Co - stan - za). So, joking around people for an extended period of time makes them use my humor more, which reinforces my humor on myself.

It is the circle of humor in my life.

5 comments:

Jadee said...

That's funny!

I wondered where Golden kept coming up with her posts...lol!

Now I know why like to read your play-on-words...they totally crack me up!

windarkwingod said...

I think roamer and I are similar in our humor styles. Roamer laughs when Adam Sandler punches someone, or if I walk into the ocean with my wallet in my back pocket (on our honeymoon). But she is none-to-keen on bathroom humor. I get chastised for farting and "tooting up the room." But I do enjoy a bit of wit and satire after a good meal...

T said...

dash and I often laugh at the same things. I give dash credit for this. He likes all humor, I mostly like girly humor with an occasional flare of appreciation for the other side!

f o r r e s t said...

Sometimes I have to think about something for a while before determining whether I truly believe it is funny...

Here's the scenario:

9:30-Thursday night. At Homer's, Dust makes a joke about creepy guy chating on-line with young asian babes. Forrest, BB, Taz, and virtual Dar break out in laughter, yet dust is silent and his eyes are darting back and forth as he processes the joke.

1:30am - Friday morning. After analyzing all the possible angles, Dust determines that the joke was funny and gives a few silent chuckles so not to wake up the Sunrise. Now we know why Dust stays up so late - it's the delayed laughter.

gigi said...

what i end up laughing at the most is sarcasm. I don't know why... maybe because every one in my family is so sarcastic. That's the way I grew up. I don't know. But sometimes sarcasm can get mean... and i feel bad....

I've gotten in trouble before for being so sarcastic because it's easy to get carried away... so i have to be careful. but i still think it's funny...