Thursday, November 17, 2005

conspiracy theory

A couple of days ago I was in a minor disagreement with a coworker about something that was insignificant in the grand scheme of things. While we were getting into it he pointed out part of the reason I am unwilling to agree with a lot of things that I hear people say. I don't take kindly to conspiracy theories.

That is actually true. I tend to view a conspiracy theory as absolute proof that the theorist is wrong. I believe that conspiracy theories are generally concocted by people who really want something to be true so much that they are willing to create elaborate stories for why that something is true. It's also more comforting to blame the things we don't like on malicious people.

Why didn't your favorite politician get elected? It's those darn ballot mills in shady precincts. Why doesn't your kid do well in school? The entire administration from the principle to the teachers is out to get you and yours. Why didn't you get hired by NASA to be an astronaut? NASA doesn't hire astronauts. They hire actors to jump around on a Hollywood set.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy some conspiracy theories. I remember one person telling me that the Federal taxes were a sham because the government doesn't need any money. How could the government need money if that same government can print all it needs? That got a restrained chuckle. I give the same type of reaction when I hear other conspiracies such as that automotive industry is holding back production on a car that can run completely on water or when I hear someone speak seriously about back masking (remember that?).

So if you see me rolling my eyes when someone goes on about how the Illuminati are really the ones running everything, or that Proctor & Gamble is owned by Satanists, or that all barcodes have been encoded with a 666 in preparation for the mark of the beast, please forgive me. The transceiver that the CIA implanted in my skull sometimes causes me to twitch like that.

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

That is why Dale on "King of the Hill" is so funny. He has a lot of conspiracy theories that are crazy.

Jadee said...

Yeah, its hard to take some of that stuff seriously. It's even crazy to hear alot of the "Christian" conspiracy theories...like the whole "hidden number" agenda that predicts when Christ will return!

Basically, the old adage of "Put a little salt in everything you hear and sugar in what you say" is a good "conspiracy" to put out there.

f o r r e s t said...

I love conspiracy theories and I haven't heard a good one in a while. I miss the x-files.

gigi said...

cool post.

Dash said...

my personal favorite is how the evil jesuits (and the whole catholic church for that matter) have been responsible for:

*The Spanish Inquisition (go figure)
* The French Revolution

* The Revolutionary (and 1812) Wars

* The US Civil War (and Slavery)

* The Great Depression

* WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm. .... etc.

* The Kenedy Assasination (presumebly a "fake" catholic)

* And the Islamic Terroist movement (including 9/11)

windarkwingod said...

Funny that there is always a wacko volunteer fringe that are happy to take on the role of the conspirators. Introverted Spiral...
(I finally made a new post)

GoldenSunrise said...

this is a test for my sun picture