Wednesday, November 09, 2005

fall

When Golden and I bought our house I viewed the three trees in the front yard and two in the back as positives that provide shade in the summer and maintain the value of the property. I didn't think through the fact that deciduous trees shed their leaves in autumn.

It seems every neighbor I have happily spends their time blowing or vacuuming their leaves into bags, even though the majority of the leaves are still in the trees. This does not seem right. I tried something like that last year but was simply frustrated when, after raking the yard for an afternoon, the yard looked about the same the next day. I eventually decided to leave (ha!) a coating of this tree trash in the yard throughout the winter and mowed it up last April. I don't know what I am going to do about it this year.

7 comments:

Jadee said...

That's funny that your blog was about leaves today! I just dropped off my boys to school and saw the lawn maintenance guy out there using a blower over the entire grassy area.

Mind you, the wind here today is about the same speed....so they are all going to blow back up on the grass!!!

I could use the blower to get the leaves out of my car doors though! =D

T said...

We have a sea of leaves in our yard, but so does at least 3 houses around us if not 4! I am not sure what we will do this year either? We have a blower/mulcher, but you still have to rake it pretty close to the house because we don't have a big enough extension cord. We'll see?

gigi said...

Too bad you don't have a teenage boy at home like us!

Stinks to be Ta-Ta...

f o r r e s t said...

What's the dilemma?

I laugh at my neighbors trying to keep their yards clean. Some hire out the job. Me, I just let the wind blow my leaves into their yard and then when I have some free time I will mow them into a million tiny pieces. The yard looks clean and it doesn't require a lot of effort.

Doc said...

Better to mow them into mulch. Its much easier and more environmentally friendly.

f o r r e s t said...

That's right. I care about the enviroment!

gigi said...

Well... Martha Stewart says it's all about curb appeal...