Monday, November 21, 2005

stroud's

One of my closer friends from college visited me this past week, and as we were discussing where to eat after service on Sunday night (eight days ago), he recommended Stroud's South, which is on 85th street in south KCMO. He had heard that the place is going to be shut down (login required) soon to make way for widening the street.

It's kind of funny to me that at least in the Kansas City area, the restaurants that people seem to find the most appealing seem like little more than holes in the wall when you get there. We showed up at the restaurant around 8:30 PM, and it was almost full, but we did find a parking spot. The food was good, very much like homestyle fried chicken, to the point where my only complaint is that it may be a little too close to home fried chicken. I think my body is starting to expect a KFC experience whenever I eat chicken.

It's kind of a shame the place will have to shut down and move. Maybe they'll put it somewhere closer to where I live, though. My stomach will be thankful, but my heart won't.

9 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I laughed when I saw that cinnamon rolls was listed as a side dish. Actually, cinnamon rolls came with our meal.

T said...

Wow, sounds like good food! KFC is the place to be!

T said...

That sounded like I didn't know you were not at KFC. The restaurant sounds good. AND since kfc was mentioned, I thought I would point out that I like it also! I need think through my comments better, sorry! :)

Jadee said...

We have a famous fried chicken place here in downtown St. Louis. It really IS a hole in the wall. And what makes theirs so good is that its cooked in peanut oil. (So if you have allergies...sorry!)

f o r r e s t said...

What you just experienced was one of America's best Fried Chicken restaurants, if not the best. Rush Limbaugh claims it is the best and sings Stroud's praises over the radio anytime he mentions Kansas City.

It is just and old mom and pop restaurant that has survived through the years of the slick chain restaurants. No flair points there, just good chicken.

Dash said...

too many of the cool old resturants are a thing of the past. There was a great chili place in Springfield called "Caspers" in a quansit (?sp) hut that was painted highway orange. The inside was stucco and plastic - but they had the best burgers/dogs in the city. The chili had no beans .. and I think no tomatoes. It dosen't sound like much now - but it was my favorite place to eat and really cheap. Ironically, the doom of Casper's seems to have been the result of opening a new store (in a converted KFC) on the hip south side of town.

My dad and I had at least one 'ahem' important conversation in the original location. I once took a girl out for valentines to the new one .... and found out that she was engaged!

the memmories are as yummy as the chili-burgers!

dwhitey said...

I absolutely love hole in the wall food eateries (this sounds like a word). I forced my wife to stop on Broadway one time between a gallery opening to eat at a greesy burger joint that I believe was shaped like a burger? We if it isn't, it should have been. It felt like the olden days sitting in a greesy dinner eating greese with a little food. Interesting how places morph into another food resturaunt that might not fit. When I lived in Anderson, IN I went to across the river to the West Side to eat at a greek resturaunt that used to be a Long John Silvers! Ha, well the gyros were good. Straud's sounds good, too bad its moving. By the way I am a friend of Forrest's from his college days. I hope you don't mind the post. I have been reading dash's post and so I fell on your comments and checked your blog out. dwhitey

shakedust said...

I love a good gyro!

Welcome to my site. Feel free to take your coat off and make yourself at home.

dwhitey said...

Danka, Do bist sehr gut! Feel free to check my posts, although I don't post as often as you do.