Tuesday, May 31, 2005

what else can go kaput?

On Friday I determined that I was going to kick back as much as possible over the weekend. I see no purpose in vacation time if I am not more relaxed at the end of the vacation than I was at the beginning. That plan was going well at the beginning of Saturday. I slept in until 11AM. Had some lunch. Mrs Dust and I started doing some leisurely cleaning. I put on some music on the PC.

That's when it happened. The first indication of trouble was that the music started repeating quickly like a broken record. The second indication of trouble was that there was a blue screen error on the monitor when I went to check out the noise. The third indication of trouble was that on reboot, the master hard drive wasn't discovered.

This was definitely frustrating, but I knew what to do. I went to Best Buy and picked up a new drive. Once I plugged it in, though, the PC wouldn't even start the boot process. After tearing the machine apart (and in the process sticking my finger through the CPU fan) I determined that there was problem with the video either on the AGP slot on the motherboard or on the video card. Since I don't have a spare video card or motherboard to swap out, I couldn't narrow down the problem any further. I swallowed my pride and took the PC to the shop to determine what specifically failed. I will get a call back either today or tomorrow about it. While they are trying to determine whether my video card or my motherboard is hosed I will see if I can figure a way to get data off the failed drive.

In the meantime, if I don't respond to comments to my posts it isn't because I am ignoring you--for now.

3 comments:

T said...

I learned a long time ago to never ask what else could go kaput! However, I hope that you find out soon and that you are able to salvage your information. This reminds me--dash we need to back up our stuff. Haven't done that in a long time.

Dash said...

Still no posts from the bridge ...

I may have to jump. I'm so depressed .... here I am, brain the size of a largish comet ....

roamingwriter said...

Sorry about the computer. We don't realize how dependent we are until - kaput. Your dilemma did motivate me to back up in a emergency kind of way. I still need to do the more thorough back up of everything. Wishing you cheap and easy solutions!