Thursday, May 12, 2005

the good guys

I hadn't had a chance to watch The Amazing Race conclusion on Tuesday, so we had taped it and I watched it last night. For anyone who has not been keeping track, the three teams that were remaining were Rob and Amber from Survivor, Ron and Kelly (he's a former POW and she's a Miss America contestant), and Uchenna and Joyce. I had been rooting for Uchenna and Joyce.

Toward the end of the race (and I mean the very end), Uchenna took the chance of losing the million dollar reward to make sure that he fully paid back his cab driver. When I realized how close he was to the finish line while he was going through that mess I realized how much integrity he really does have. That's part of the reason I have been pulling for the team, because his integrity was obvious earlier in the race. Uchenna and Joyce are the good guys.

I find it interesting in reality shows and in life that nearly everyone thinks that he or she is the good guy or girl, but an objective audience almost always can tell pretty quickly who is in the right. I know that part of why Uchenna and Joyce did not come off as bad as the other teams is probably partially due to editing, but even so I am amazed at the number of people who go on these shows and think they will be justified before millions just to have their bad attitudes blow up in their faces.

This a big reason why I married Mrs Dust. I have many times witnessed a situation where a woman expects support from her guy when it seems clear to me that she doesn't deserve it. She gets in an argument with someone and expects him to back her up, when she is just being selfish. My wife simply isn't like that. If Mrs Dust gets in a dispute (and she doesn't get in many), I can typically be confident that she is in the right. I hope she can have the same confidence with me. Maybe we should go on a reality show together to find out. On the other hand, I'd rather just the two of us know the truth instead of half of the United States.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

I am happy Uchenna and Joyce won. I was torn between Rob and Amber and them. Rob has grown on me since his first showing on survivor. They wore the underdog team. Everyone else was out to get them. Rob and Amber demonstrated how a couple can work together with good balance and support and be a little awnry on the side. Uchenna would constantly help out other contestants, kept a good attitude and was fair. They deserved to win and I am glad they did.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I read my comment after posting and notice a spelling error. There is no way to go back and edit my comment. Were not wore.
Sorry folks...