Thursday, June 02, 2005

making connections

For two days in a row our network at work has been down when I got to the office. In most places that I have worked this wouldn't be a huge deal, but since almost every job responsibility I have requires a network connection, this has slowed me down quite a bit. Add this to the fact that I still don't have a computer set up at home, so I would like to have something that resembles an Internet connection for at least a few hours a day.

The main issue I have is what to do when I can't be doing work. Generally speaking, I sit around and talk with coworkers. Ironically, when our network goes down, it improves my networking. Some of the people I interrupt have things they can do without a network connection, though. What does everyone else do when technical difficulties prevent work? I can't be the only one with this recurring issue.

8 comments:

windarkwingod said...

go poop

T said...

one place I use to work people took books for down time. I doubt that you could get a way with that, but you might try keeping one in your desk just in case!? It was a joke about how much time we'd actually have to do our jobs for a while, seems the whole system was down more than up.

Dash said...

How goes it with your home machine????

f o r r e s t said...

Our power went out the other day. After a chorus of "AHH'S!!!" we got up and chatted until the power came back on 15 minutes later.

The best was a few weeks ago, smoke was spewing from our server and filled the air with some wicked chemicals that caused my nose to burn. That all brought us together.

roamingwriter said...

If you'd downloaded one of dash's ebooks earlier, you could have read all day. : ) Or you could write a book or something. I used to do draft chapters at work after I ran out of other things to do. The bad thing was I always jumped like I was caught, whenever anyone opened the door.

Doc said...

I make blog entries.

Jadee said...

I hate the feeling of being "unconnected" with the world! I know, I know, I need a life offline...

The funny thing is when I was out at the marina this weekend, we were out of signal with my cell phone, but when we got signal again out on the river...we all cheered!

And since I learned how to text message, now I have emails, voicemails, and inboxes to check regularly. =D

(oh, and I heard dash's song more times than I care to again!)

shakedust said...

Since the question was asked, the home machine is up--kind of. I will be spending the weekend installing software and trying to recover data from the crashed drive.