Saturday, May 14, 2005

i wanna know what love is

I went camping with Dash, Dar, Achtung, and Forrest on Friday night at a state park. Most everyone reading this already knows that. Here are the highlights that are legal in most states in roughly chronological order.

Among the items I forgot to take was a pillow and two inflatable air mattresses. Comfort is overrated anyway. I learned to rest my head on a duffel bag and a coat. I didn't say I learned to sleep on them, but certainly rest on them.

Four people worked to set up camp and get the food prepared. I hid out in the tent.

We ate brats, Polish sausage, hot dogs, and smores throughout the night. On an unrelated topic I made many trips to the bathroom that same night.

It rained for a few hours that night. It did not rain enough to send us to the tent, but enough that most of us sought shelter under the roof that covered a picnic table at the camp site. No one retrieved the chairs from the rain. This was a move we would live to regret.

After sitting in wet chairs that would not fully dry no matter how long they were dangled over the fire our jeans got uncomfortably wet. We were eventually reduced to dangling our butts over the fire. I believe Achtung has a picture. Mmm... toasty.

Upon sharing my arachnaphobic tendencies, I was kindly made aware of every spider that was noticed for the rest of the time we were at the park. I was even kindly made aware of spiders that didn't exist.

Forrest decided that we should try to sing 80s songs like girls at a slumber party. I realized how few 80s songs I know. I do know that Forrest knows the phrase, "I wanna know what love is," because I heard it sung approximately twenty times throughout the night.

Dash went to sleep almost before his head hit the pillow. His snores provided a cadence for Forrest's singing.

Dar's snoring, though light, was in synch with Dash's. The rest of us witnessed it. Were they really sleeping?

Dash cooked the "Worth Waiting For Breakfast Casserole" for breakfast. It was worth waiting for.

We hiked 3/4 miles on Quarry Path. There was no discernible quarry anywhere near the path.

I was told that I prance like a gazelle when avoiding muddy patches. I still don't know whether that is a compliment or a slam (I was told it is a compliment).

We took a wrong turn or two on the trails, but were never lost and never needed to stop to ask for directions.

Thanks to Dash for setting this up and giving us the use of his tent. It was a blast.

2 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

...I want you to show me...

roamingwriter said...

I enjoyed hearing the camping stories from another eye witness.