Friday, May 13, 2005

the yard looks good again

I don't generally like mowing on the weekend, but I can deal with it. What annoys me is when circumstances arise so that I have to mow during the week. Given that there is only a short window between when I get home from work and when it is too dark to mow, any complication that arises can be a showstopper.

I determined this week that I was going to need to figure a time to mow during the week. I had plans last weekend and this weekend as well that would preclude mowing, and the yard was looking worse than it had all last year. On Monday I thought about mowing, but by the time it occurred to me to try to mow it was too late. On Tuesday a friend from college stopped by for the entire evening. I usually go to church on Wednesday and I thought about skipping, but I have been enjoying the class that I have been attending on Wednesdays and didn't want to miss a week.

Thursday seemed like the best option, so my plan was to leave work at precisely 5PM and get the lawn mowed before Survivor started at 7PM. Not too tall an order, because it typically takes me between one and one and a half hours to do the yard.

To my chagrin, I could not get out of work until 5:25. I got home at 5:45, started mowing at 5:55, and then noticed how much grass there really was. I was filling a bag every five or ten minutes of mowing, so I had to stop a lot. I kept plugging because I knew that this needed done, but I was wondering how much of Survivor I would need to skip. I was much more focused on getting the job done before the show to focus much on the impending weather, so I didn't notice the darkening skies. Around 7:15 I completed the job, a little frustrated, but happy that the job was done.

As I was cleaning up afterward I noticed a loud noise outside. I checked it out and saw that the trees in my back yard were thrashing around in the wind pretty hard. I realized then that I needed to be thankful that God let me finish before the storm and not worry about catching all of my TV shows. All that matters is that there were no wind related accidents in the back yard. Either that or all that mattered was that I got to see who was voted off. I can't always tell which is more important.

4 comments:

T said...

glad no accidents occured. also glad you got to see who got voted off. I think this is the first time all the stronger people haven't taken advantage to vote off a strong person instead of the obvious weaker one. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

windarkwingod said...

My mower is a mulcher. Until I replaced the plastic chute/exit guard thingy, I used to get pummeled in the chest and belly area by pinecones. After seeing my little bruises, Roamer convinced me to make a make-shift guard. It is wonderful. I no longer flinch, and I no longer have to wear eye-protection. I'll miss my beautiful yard, but I get to take my smart wife with me to Spain.

roamingwriter said...

just think how focused you were on the yard with the survivor motivation...it could have been a lengthier thing without that. Dar decided in the storm that hit Thursday night to scare my family and went outside to brush a branch against the window near where we were eating. Everyone was simply perplexed since there was no tree anywhere near that window. Better luck spooking us next time.

T said...

Shake what a disappointment. I figured you of all people would have wireless connection on your phone to go and post your blog today....what a bummer. guess I'll have to wait for it, it's kind of like not getting your coffee fix, you've conditioned me to expect it and now it's not there! If this was an experiment did you achieve the desired results?!