Friday, May 20, 2005

may the snores be with you

On Wednesday night I got a call from Dash asking if I wanted to go to Episode III on the spur of the moment. The movie was going to show at 12:01 AM. I had to consider this for a bit. Would I be able to function the next day? Was it worth the expense? I had actually intended for this movie to be a rental later on rather than a theater movie. I caved and went.

Now, I understand that there are a lot of Star Wars geeks out there. Being a geek and having many geek friends, I have met many of them. I still did not expect the vast numbers of people I saw at the theater, though, to see a showing that would last until 2:30 AM on a weekday. How many people there were going to play hooky from work the next day? How many would try to suffer through the next day on a couple of hours of sleep? How many would inadvertently wake their parents when they got back from the movie?

Dash noted that the ratio of guys to girls was outlandish. I'd agree. Maybe 10% of the people there were girls. Maybe.

So there we were, Dash and I, in a sea of moderately to extremely geeky male Star Wars fans waiting to see the movie and trying not to fall asleep. I wish I could say we didn't fit in (no slam intended, Dash).

I can't complain, though. The movie was actually worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shock of shocks! Mr. Schedule did something spontaneous.

So how much more incoherent were you than normal the next morning?

I remember the first time I saw a Star Wars movie. You were watching it on tv and I came in and watched the end of it with you. Wonderful, long-suffering sister that I am, I probably did not complain or fuss about watching the movie at all. :oD

roamingwriter said...

Dar and I went...yes I was one of the 10 percent of geeky girls there. It was an interesting crowd. One you keep thinking, but I'm not them. Then you realize it's after midnight and you are there too.