Thursday, April 14, 2005

unsung hero

On Wednesday nights my wife teaches third through fifth grade girls at our church and I go to whatever adult elective classes are available. Since Mrs Dust has to be at the church a little early, if we go together that means I have time to kill before my class starts.

As I was roaming the halls waiting for class to start I ran into the person at our church that is responsible for all setup and cleanup in the church. We are both pretty shy, so any conversation can feel forced simply due to our similar personalities. I decided, however, that I would like to see how things are going in his life.

When I asked him how everything was he said they were fine, then we got into a discussion of the requirements of his job and the responsibility he has. At that moment I was a little ashamed. I had never thanked him for the work that he had done and that I had certainly benefited from. More than once I have noticed a dirty classroom and left it because I know it will get taken care of.

Given that the efforts of the idea men are often provided more respect than those of those who do the physical work, I'd encourage anyone and everyone to show some appreciation to those whose work isn't noticed until something goes wrong. Dave, if you're reading this, thanks for all of your work at the church.

2 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

David does a good job and he is a neat freak (if you ever visit his house.) I told him if he ever got bored he could come over and clean.
Good Job David!

roamingwriter said...

A good sentiment...we could all do more appreciating of the behind the scenes people! Hooray for the people that make things happen!