Monday, April 11, 2005

extra, extra, read all about it

Today as I was pulling into the office a man and a boy (presumably his son) were selling newspapers at the corner in front of my office. I think they are raising money for a sports organization or to cure a disease or something like that. They didn't appear to be poor because I could see the minivan they had driven to get there and it was relatively nice.

The problem was that my office faces a relatively busy street, and rather than choose an intersection on a slow street near one of the parking lots they chose a corner on the busy street. It looks like an opportune spot because a it is one of the entryways to a large office complex, but few people will be willing to stop right where they were standing.

Usually when presented with a situation like that I either donate to whatever cause is being pushed, or I ignore the people and feel a little guilty about it. However, this time I couldn't physically stop and purchase something without stopping the car behind me that was in the process of crossing traffic.

I do feel a little bad for the kid, though. I hope someone buys a paper from him so this experience isn't a disappointment. They should have picked a different corner.

4 comments:

Dash said...

The posterboards that they were holding near my office said, "buy a paper help a kid". Strangely, the folks that I saw today also drove a minivan.

Like your il-fated corner, these guys decided to stand in the center island of an off-ramp. I wonder if they know how many cars end up there after losing control. I myself spent a couple hours stuck in that exact spot during our last big snow. I'm not going to stop on an exit ramp to buy a paper!!!

Not that I would buy a paper anyway ...I'm the guy that dosen't go in on the the angel tree at work - instead I help wrap the presents. I never chip in for someone's birthday, bosses day secretary day, tsunami relief, victims fund for 911. I'm sure I seem quite stingy; but I find more fulfillment in a personal email or my time for a charity or ministry.

The newspaper sellers ... like the Firemen that stand on the corner - or walk between the cars at an itersection collecting money in their boot - probably do a lot of good. I just wich they would get out of my way.

shakedust said...

I found out from a friend at work that this was for Greater Kansas City Day. I think they may have come to the same conclusion that I did because I looked out at the corned an hour later and saw no one there (and this was still what might be considered rush hour).

windarkwingod said...

Man - I hate those guys with the boots at the corners... I usually drive up onto the curb and honk at them until they run off a bit to allow the rest of us to get through... Also, I have a rule that I will never give a handout to someone in dreadlocks. Dreadlocks seem to be in fashion with some younger homeless folks. If you got dreads - you got enough money to buy batteries for your discman...

f o r r e s t said...

I agree!
My least favorite are the women who stand at stateline and shawnee mission parkway/ward parkway. They try to collect money for a battered womens shelter. Give up! Their has got to be another way.