Friday, April 29, 2005

for what it's worth

To whom it may concern, I found out last night that I have a catch phrase. In case you were wondering, it is something that I tend to use quite a bit in both oral and written communication. Interestingly enough, it is a commonly used introductory phrase that signifies to my audience that I am about to say something of importance to me.

As a matter of fact, many people have catch phrases that seem to infiltrate every aspect of their communications. Back in the time, I remember getting a chuckle out of an acquaintance who used to always say, "to make a long story short," then continue to make a short story long.

I was just thinking, and I wonder if the introductory phrases that a person peppers his or her speak with point to how that person's mind works. In a manner of speaking, these phrases may point to a person's need to introduce a thought, and the inability to constantly come up with a creative means of introduction.

In that case, I must lack some creativity. That is all I have to say on the subject, for what it's worth.

6 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

You're welcome.
For what it's worth, I quick looked through an email you sent me and for proof here it is:
[dust says:] For what it is worth, I have not often seen a page structured entirely with "div" tags so you will want to test this immediately after changing it to make sure it looks right.

Jadee said...

Ironically, I think you may be onto something with that theory of how a person's mind works. I will be testing it out!

Actually, on a serious note, I have too many phrases to count!! =D

shakedust said...

Phrases like "on a serious note"? ;)

shakedust said...

In case anyone is wondering (or for what it's worth)... I just removed two comments that are advertisements for another site. No disrespect, but the posts read like spam so I didn't want them kept around.

roamingwriter said...

This is an interesting theory. I'll be more conscious of introductory phrases for some time now!

windarkwingod said...

to make a long story short - it just goes to show ya' - that that's okay and all - (for whatever it's worth) - just my two cents - but on a serious note - thanks for sharing...