Friday, April 15, 2005

bathroom etiquette

One type of observation that almost always gets a smile is regarding the things that happen in a public bathroom. I am not exactly certain why public bathroom anecdotes are funny, but I think it is because that is one of the few situations where you have to be somewhat vulnerable in the presence of strangers. Noises that you accidentally make in the privacy of your home aren't incredibly funny unless you are a fourteen-year-old boy. They are embarrassing and humorous when they occur in the presence of strangers in a bathroom. As a result, there are several observations that I will probably share here on the blog eventually. I only have one for today, though.

A couple of days ago I entered the bathroom at my office, which I believed to be unoccupied, to use the facilities. After I had been in there, supposedly alone, for about thirty seconds I heard a newspaper page turn in one of the stalls. It wasn't as big of a deal this time around because once in this bathroom I heard two different people in the stalls not only reading, but commenting to each other on what they were reading. Nonetheless, I would like to know what goes through a person's mind when they decide to bring loud reading material into a public bathroom.

Actually, I do understand wanting to bring reading material to a private bathroom, because I have been in the middle of an article or story when the urge hit. I just think a person sticks out walking into a public restroom with the Wall Street Journal.

Maybe I should try it rather than knock it. I wonder if the guy in the next stall would mind if I borrow the comics section.

4 comments:

Dash said...

I've found that playing a game on your cell phone is a great way to pass the time. I usually mute my phone, but sometimes....

f o r r e s t said...

At my old place of work, this guy would roll up a couple of magazines and walk right into the bathroom. It was a daily habit and we all noticed. We also make sure to never touch his magazines...

windarkwingod said...

I usually write real touch-feely Thank You notes...

roamingwriter said...

I've always joked about carrying a pack of cigarettes so I could go outside on nice days with the smokers...maybe I should take up the 15-minute- break-to-read-a-good-book-in-the-bathroom habit. You could never get away with sitting at your desk and reading the paper for some unspecified amount of time!