Sunday, April 10, 2005

jeans and sneakers

This morning my wife woke me up with the question as to whether her jacket looked better with jeans or slacks. She was putting together her clothes for church and wanted to know. Of course, my answer was, "Well, what do you think?" before rolling over and going back to sleep. She decided to wear the jeans. This wouldn't be incredibly significant except that this is the first time she has ever worn jeans to a Sunday morning service.

Our church has recently moved from having one Sunday morning service to two. There is one that is traditional and one that is contemporary. The contemporary one is more casual than the combined service used to be, so it is not uncommon for a large minority of the congregation to be wearing jeans. I myself wear jeans and sneakers most Sunday mornings.

I kind of drifted during the sermon and thought about how things were when I was growing up. The view was that one should dress up in the same way that someone would when visiting a king. Now that I have a better grasp on Scripture I realize that God could care less what I have on. The foreign dignitary or the people employed by the king may have to dress up to visit the king, but the son can approach him whenever and wearing whatever.

I am thankful for this because I like wearing comfortable pants.

4 comments:

windarkwingod said...

I woke up and had to convince myself to put on a suitcoat. I feel as if I must present a correct appearance to the dear folks that are concerned with our future. As for the rest of the time, me and Fundamuggie will be eating doritos in the buff watching the tube at 12:30am. I mean - {buff} - it's the last act of disrobing before I'll expire.

Dash said...

As a member of that "traditional" service, I do have to say that I envy you a bit. Every Sunday I feel guilty about not wearing a jacket on the platform; like darwin, I feel an obligation. But most Sunday's I just wear a sweater just so I won't have to wear a tie - something that will be difficult to pull off in the summer.

I raise my diet coke and toast to Amber's courage and good sense. viva le revolution!!

shakedust said...

(Shivers at the thought of the disrobing.)

I was happy that she was willing to take that step. There is little point in being uncomfortable just so that a few peoples cultural sensibilities aren't offended.

f o r r e s t said...

I can't remember the last time I dressed up to go to church. I have been going to the same church since '83 (3rd grade)and ever since college it has been my sole mission to break down this 'dressing up' one person at a time. I called it my "jeans ministry."